ForumsForum Gamescan u answer the question?

223 40113
mazin
mazin
28 posts
Nomad

answer the question ,if u get it right u make a new question. so on and so on.

eg:what is the fastest land mammal?
ans:the cheetah

• 223 Replies
nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Okay, so now that I know that it has to be on one side, I'm going to try it. Please tell me if this is right because I think that it might be right this time.

(X-AX)/A=B

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

no, that would be B in terms of A and X. You need to get X by itself on one side with A and B on the other side.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Oh yeah I keep forgeting that. I feel so dumb right now. Okay I'm going to try it again and hopefully thrid try is the charm.

X=*/(AB)/-A

*/ means square root of (not sure why it just does)

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

I am sorry, but that is still incorrect. If you would like to know the answer post so on my messages.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Dang it, and I thought I was good at math, but now I realized that I'm horrible haha. Well at least I was the only one to actaully attempt it correctly.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

You aren't horrible, this is an extremely hard problem for it's appearance.

Here is the solution:

X=-(AB)/(A-1)

and here is how you solve it:

1. let A=2 and B=3
X=2Y Y=X+3

2. Substitute X+3 for Y
X=2(X+3), X=2X+6

3. Now you put A and B back into the equation
A=2 B=3 6=2*3=AB
X=AX+AB

4. This is the hard part, you have to think of what the equation would be if it still had 2 and 3 in it.
X=2X+6
X=AX+AB

5. Subtract X from both sides
0=(2-1)X+6
0=(A-1)X+AB

6. Solve for (A-1)X
(2-1)X=-6
(A-1)X=-(AB)

7. Solve for X
X=-6
X=-(AB)/(A-1)

A and B were replaced by 2 and 3 for use as an aid to help people see how the solution works. The choice of numbers does not effect the solution, and this can be proved easily by replacing A and B with any two numbers.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

what gets bigger as it rolls?, this is kinda an easy one

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Ohh, that was a really hard problem. Also, for steevo's question I would have to say a snowball rolling down a snowy mountain because it does get bigger as it rolls.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Nick, If you enjoy math you should have a crack at this next probem, it should keep you pretty busy for a few days

Ok, I cannott draw this out but I can describe what it is.

There is an space between two buildings. The space is X units long. There are two ladders that are set up between the buildings. One ladder is 20 units long, the other is 30 units long. The ladders cross 10 feet above the ground.

Find X.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Oh man! I tried that equation out last night and got an answer with a 1 in it! But I thought that it was wrong because there was a 1 in it, and I thought it could ONLY contain A & B.

I should have tried submitting it anyways I guess

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, the 1 has to be there, but it does not really matter because the 1 acctually means 1X when it is solved, because the only way to write AX-X is (A-1)X, which is just AX with 1 less X :P

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

How tall is the building? Or do we not get to know that? I would use our friend Pythagoras for this one, but there are too many unknowns.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,120 posts
Shepherd

You know nothing that I haven't given you :P

I got this from one of my proffessors, I have made some progress on it but it is an extremely difficult problem. I have determined that X<17.3205 and I have had marked success turning the scenario into a set of similar triangles. The progress that I have made in that regard is harder to post as it is described best by diagrams.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Okay this one seems a little bit easier. I'm going to say what I think the answer is.

X=*/300+*/800

*/ means square root of

Oh, and sorry I don't have a caculator currently with me.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

How in the world did you get those numbers?

And are we assuming that the buildings are of equal height? Or do we not know that?

Showing 46-60 of 223