ForumsSupport ForumA very tedious to do idea...

14 2472
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

I had an idea about getting together programmers who know different languages and see if they would like to translate our most popular games into other languages, apologies if this idea has been brought up, but it would attract a more global community... and yes I know some games do have options for other languages... or was it just sonny 1 and 2? anyway I want to know what the mods and admins think about this idea. This would take lots of planning and the whole finding of said programmers, but text editing and translation wouldn't take too long...

• 14 Replies
Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

...Ignored?

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I can't go against it...

There are people who don't speak english who want to play these games too...

But most of the text isn't that important, except briefings and instructions.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Well this would require the consent of the owners of these games,along with a large group of programmers who are both fluent in another language and English so as to translate the games properly.This would be an extremely tedious project,but as for now I think the best thing developers can do is give visuals in their instructions if they can so even if someone cannot read them,they could still try to efficiently comprehend what the instructions are saying.Still if were willing to try and run a project like this yourself then no one is stopping you,but I don't know if the owners of this site would try and attempt to do something like that.I think the reason why these games have different language options,is because the developers speak fluently in that other language and can do so easily,but my main concern is them letting someone else code on their games and also getting a hold of alot of foreign language speaking programmers,although I have to say I know a eastern European C based programmer so they may be more common then I probably think.Its something to think about I suppose.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

There are flash game websites in different languages. So the people who speak foreign languages should just go to another website.

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

Yes, but this purpose is to attract a more global audience,and if we were to do something like this, it would have to be programmers that the admins of armor know of and trust, but yes it would be a long and tedious project, and thanks for your input, I am just hoping a mod or admin comes across this and let me know what they think of this...

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

Well are you suggestion this to Armor Games? Well, what would people who can't speak English be doing in an English website?

Sparkky
Sparkky
14 posts
Nomad

wow, some of the people here seem like /b/ refugees.
To do this, it wouldnt necessarily take programmers fluent in other language.
That would help, but depending on how the game was programmed it could be as simple as working with a seperate file or going to the designated commented name section.

As for why people who speak multiple languages would be at a website in english. English is the most global language of the internet. Most people comprehend English at some level, but would appreciate greatly the ability to play a quality flash game in their native language.

Speaking english, and fully comprehending english is about a 10 year difference.

Ragingmelon
Ragingmelon
69 posts
Nomad

I like the idea, but as said before, I imagine it will make it harder to make games etc.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I am very much for this idea. In fact, most of my games, before their final release, will be available in several languages.

I am fluent in both English and Swedish, and I have friends who speak Spanish fluently. But I will be looking for other people from other countries who can translate the games.

The biggest problem, though, is that sometimes someone may not speak the foreign language very well, may spell things incorrectly, or may write things that are inappropriate, but since I may not know a word in that language, I would have no idea if they are writing well or not.

But if anyone speaks another language fluently, (not just two years in school) please contact me.

GodGilliam
GodGilliam
60 posts
Nomad

I can't program anything, but I can translate English-Dutch, since Dutch is my native language. Hope I can help!

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I know how to speak french fluidly (Canada, ftw!).

I think it is a great idea... but difficult to do as you said and I think it would attract more traffic to the site. I don't think it is possible for every game though. I could see about translating the website, instructions, etc... but not the actual games.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

But that is only one game among the many here at AG. There are very few games that are programmed in more than one language. That is the point of this thread.

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

yep I figured If we were to translate popular games (kinda figured 8.7+ rating) than it would attract a little more popularity on a world wide scale. Everyone knows there are web page translators for almost any language, but it never works with games and the such... I mean I have seen a few hispanic and french AG members, I am sure they'd like this, too.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I mean I have seen a few hispanic and french AG members, I am sure they'd like this, too.

And even if they are not on Armor Games, they are most likely still playing Flash Games on the internet. In fact, most who only speak another language do not even use these forums because of the language barrier.

Most games here on AG are available on other gaming sites as well.
Showing 1-14 of 14