ForumsSupport ForumSome sort of Literature Contest

10 2048
jalex13
jalex13
293 posts
Nomad

I was thinking we could have some sorta of a literature contest on a forum. The entries could have a certain topic or limit of words or letters and a number of points could be awarded. There could also be little trophy icon that could go next to your name on your profile.

• 10 Replies
jalex13
jalex13
293 posts
Nomad

any suggestions are appreciated..

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

One word: Unpopular. Or rather, it would possibly be unpopular. You can check out what writing contests we already have and they are unpopular as it is, although the Weekly Poetry Competitions is uncharacteristically empty because of the difficult themes. There was a review contest proposed for writing reviews about stuff that flopped with only one review which possibly doesn't even count as a review. There was a paragraph writing contest but that died out after the first round. Not sure what happened to or after the second round. There was mystery/suspense story contest hosted by someone, but I'm not sure what happened to that either. I doubt people would want to write essays, let alone spend time to write anything worthy of being above the tripe of action/suspense/mystery-filled commercial fiction or fantasy with all its archetypes and horribly wooden dialogue and cliches.

jalex13
jalex13
293 posts
Nomad

wow.... u do make a good point

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

If you still want to try to start one up... go to the Art, music, and Writing forum. I'm assuming you haven't been there if you haven't seen any of these literature contests... (poetry contest, etc.)

jalex13
jalex13
293 posts
Nomad

ok... maybe i will...

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well, if you're one of those people who have an open mind and can type 5x faster than you can write, then those literature contests would be the thing for you. It's a shame not of my works here get any notice, though =(

Most of these contests that we have are about art and graphics, animation being the most viewed, since most everyone likes looking at pictures instead of interpreting words. It's almost as though the literature-loving race is on the point of extinction.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

yes, not even places like deviantart or fictionpress get views anymore, it's quite sad.
I'm sure that when shintetsu gets the mod spot he'll set one up though.

MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

I'd be up for a contest. I like to write stories; heck I've been accused of writing my game reviews to novella lengths as it is.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well there are poetry contests in the Art, Music, and Writing forum.

Check it out here.

MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

I'm confused, I already replied to this, but it's gone.

Anyway, I don't really write poetry, but I do enjoy writing short stories.

Showing 1-10 of 10