ForumsSupport ForumArmor games awards

11 2171
seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

My idea is that once every month the admins and mods find out who has been contributing the most with the best comments or other stuff
and give awards to them
it would possibly reduce spam because more people would want to win awards and they wouldn't post worthless topics or posts
I know there are already merits but this would be worth like 50 AP and it would be anounced for the person to be praised by everyone else

• 11 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I see two mayor downsides.
Jealousy.
How would anyone be chosen over another and that being a one hundred percent fair judgment...

Too subjective...
Nice idea, but I'm giving it a thumbs down.

Lord_Mist
Lord_Mist
571 posts
Nomad

Good idea. But i dont really think so, sorry. The spams would decrease, but many people would copy another people's comments, ideas or other stuff to get merit.

recon543
recon543
244 posts
Nomad

Good idea. But i dont really think so, sorry. The spams would decrease, but many people would copy another people's comments, ideas or other stuff to get merit

Yea they would and bad things could happen.
Lord_Mist
Lord_Mist
571 posts
Nomad

U-uhm. Yea. it also would be difficult for mods to decide who deserved to be announced. Anyway, sorry for double posting. I didnt expect that

seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

or the mods could pick like 50 people and other people on the website could vote for who they think deserves it

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Are you all against it because you're afraid you won't get picked? /joke. I'm not for or against the idea, but the reasons given here are essentially against ever having an award for anything ever.

Jealousy.
How would anyone be chosen over another and that being a one hundred percent fair judgment...

Too subjective...
Nice idea, but I'm giving it a thumbs down

And I'm sure no one is jealous when a new mod is picked out. It is basically the same form of recognition albeit with more or less certain minimum requirements (X amount of quality forum posts and activity on the site).

All judging is subjective, as around the awards like the Oscars and Emmys and the Nobel prize. No judging is above being too subjective. I don't think there's been a recent Nobel prize for literature that wasn't tied to politics or discussions about who/what should've got which Oscar. And I don't think anyone can say that the competitions we have on this site are judged 100% fairly.

The spams would decrease, but many people would copy another people's comments, ideas or other stuff to get merit.

People would do that regardless. How much more incentive would a monthly recognition provide? It's not hard to figure out if a comment has been copied. Mods should know if a comment has been copied while they are awarding merits to comments, so a copied comment is unlikely to become a merit. Additionally, I've never seen a copied comment or idea theft that was crafted into something great. I can also say with certainty that there haven't been too many great comments written in the past month or two. Most comments don't even have much of an original idea to steal.

it also would be difficult for mods to decide who deserved to be announced.

Choices are always difficult. I'm sure Strop has enough trouble picking between two clear winners in several rounds of the Art Skills Competition.

A very good idea, but it could lead to much worse behaviour of people. So like they could be aggressive to the winner, if they think that they were better than that person.

Also how will the mods/admins check EVERYTHING the person had done: spam, earned merits, helped other people etc. This would make mods and admins waste a lot of their times and a lot of profiles to go to over 180k users in AG, that is a lot, so a lot of mods/admins time will be wasted.

If the second place was really a good contributor, chances are they are a good person. If they are aggressive toward the winner, then it would clearly be a mistake to consider that person a second time.

Mods don't have to check everything. For what nomination processes I'm aware of, it's what sticks out that is put on the chopping block. Great contributors should certainly stick out. Wouldn't it be a similar process to choosing a mod? You don't have to check everything. However, in something more competitive with only one slot to fill more scrutiny would be needed, but there is no need to look through everything.
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Nice idea, though while spam rates would go down, competition would go up, meaning the site would go into a 'No fun phase'.

Great contributors should certainly stick out. Wouldn't it be a similar process to choosing a mod?

Good point. Contributors should be recognized, though too much attention should be discouraged.

I'm leaning towards the 'Yes' side of this idea.
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

I see two mayor downsides.
Jealousy.

Too subjective...
Nice idea, but I'm giving it a thumbs down.

I see where you are coming from but Zophia, it's just like becoming a Mod. Look at all the similarities!
1) Only a select few are chosen
2) The Mods are the ones who pick!

The only difference is you gain a Merit or some other type of reward! It's like being rewarded for being a Semi-Mod or something! :P
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

The only difference is you gain a Merit or some other type of reward! It's like being rewarded for being a Semi-Mod or something! :P
I think that might be why I don't like the idea...

But looks like there's some okay arguments for it. Meh, I dunno.
ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I think this would be a good idea, but the mods shouldn't be aloud to win as they already get enough notifications IMO and they should leave this to we humble servants.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

well, if the mods were giving out awards, it would lead to jealously, which - in my opinion- would lead to more spammers, wanting to get noticed, its a great idea though

Showing 1-11 of 11