ForumsSupport ForumCensor/Unspelled warning?

36 5827
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

I was just about to post a reply to a thread when I saw I had a misspelled word.
I was thinking "Man, I would have looked life an idiot if I had pressed post. D:"
So, an idea popped into my head. Maybe ArmorGames can add an addition to the site where a warning pops up on your computer screen and says 'Are you sure you want to post? One or more words will be shown misspelled or censored.'
Of course, this option would be able to be turned off/on using your control panel.

Okay AG, start shooting me down.

• 36 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

*glares at flames*

Taking points away as suggested is in my opinion not a good idea. I prefer banhammering after appropriate warnings.
Preview function, yes plz.
Warning about censor, also yes plz. I've found myself surprised at several censored words... And I'm still waiting for cockroach and cockatrice to be writable.

The spelling should be the users own responsibility, not the forum page's.

MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

Xzeno, why me chill? I didn't call anyone male genitalia, Ricador did. All I did was offer my heart felt concern for his rage issues.

Zophia - just to be clear, I didn't say AG should take points away, I said it would take something like that to make people care.

I have to suspect being Ban Hammered has a greater chance of turning someone into a multi-profile spam monkey with anger issues; losing points would have some chance of motivating positive behavior.

Hammers, though popular, have a severely limited range of things they do well, but they can do a lot of damage, in the wrong hands.

I have a friend who hangs at a forum that does reduce your point total for misspelled words, and from what I hear, it works, but it would be too much work.

I'm just saying that anything less only helps people who already care, and people who already are willing to make the effort don't really need much help.

MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

Crud, thought of this too late... what would help would be the option to edit your own posts. Then if you spot a mistake, you can fix it, or, in this case, add something!

random_player_of_ag
random_player_of_ag
2,636 posts
Nomad

Well I do not have spell check.
I need to go to microsoft word to check what I wrote.

thegamesman
thegamesman
324 posts
Nomad

This sounds a pretty good idea but just so you know you said life instead of like -10AP lol -}

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

@Thegamesman
I profanity is a censored word. :P I also don't care about AP. >_>

@Cholokid
Bob is fine.
While people don't care about what their post looks like, it would be nice to at least let them see what their general IQ is with a keyboard... ;D

@Mrtim
Sort of like the official dictionary? I like that idea.
And I had that you could turn it off in my original post. :P
Some URLS have censored words in them, so the image was cut off... Maybe that was it.

thegamesman
thegamesman
324 posts
Nomad

Good work flappy i think you found a thing to sort owet good show

MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

Going to Microsoft word IS a spell check Random, I used it myself, for several years on line. You could also use your e-mail program, most of the time.

recon543
recon543
244 posts
Nomad

10 points for every profanity.

I wouldn't Think that, Not one bit.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

if you make an auto sensor everyone wanting to curse and make people see it could just try and try again until they could fit it through

|1|{3 7h|ss

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

10 points for every profanity.

The R&G say that excessive profanity is not allowed. Excessive.

And sometimes when you are posting something, and occasional cuss word is needed to get a point a cross.

So, no, i don't think this would work.

And plus, the only people this would affect are those hard core spammers who don't care about points, and just come on and try and spam a site for as long as they can before they get banned.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

6|24|-|4|\\/|, you did the 1337-speak wrong... I think. Even though I can read it.

And sometimes when you are posting something, and occasional cuss word is needed to get a point a cross.
Rarely. Strong words, maybe, cuss words, not really. Or at least very rarely.
MudPuddle
MudPuddle
270 posts
Templar

âWhen a man uses profanity to support an argument, it indicates that either the man or the argument is weak - probably bothâ

âProfanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefullyâ

âProfanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple.â

George Washington - âThe foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises itâ

I couldn't source them all, but I like what they all have to say.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

This idea really fits into This idea

The only different is the 'Mispelled or Censored' part.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

If you really want to make a difference start taking Armor Points away for every misspelling,

[quote]Honestly, can you defend your position against wanting people to know how to spell, and use proper grammar?[quote]

Zophia would certainly lose many points.
Everyone loses points for talking about a game with made-up words.

What's to be correctly spelled? I use words that don't exist in jest and euphoria (or disgust). Satisfication is not a word and neither is Unmutable. And clearly Fantastification is not one either. Common words? Sometimes I mispell them on porpoise, but obliviously not most of the short ones. By serendipity shall it pass? Teh noes!

But obliviously, this is more utile (This is not a word?) in debate and discussion on WEPRE and perhaps S&S or am I being obvious to the blanket thrown?
Showing 16-30 of 36