ForumsSupport ForumSmall idea including merits

14 2607
Ragingmelon
Ragingmelon
69 posts
Nomad

Can't find the words to explain, so I will give an example:

User A posts a comment on a game useful to the community. User B likes to improve the site, so he/she votes the comment up. User A gains recognition for the useful comment, and earns a merit. Something is missing here, User B helped User A become recognized, but is not recognized for his/her willingness to improve the site.

Basically my idea is that users would get a few armor points for voting up a good comment that gets approved for a merit. I know it will not be that easy to apply it to the current system, but it is an idea.

• 14 Replies
tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

but yea people would be voting up everything u know

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Yeah it is a good idea. But then people will just vote up every comment they see. Causing mass confusion. It will be like a way to spam without spamming.

People would vote everything up, gain points for no effort. Its similar to how people rate games without ever actually playing them. So now instead of people rating and comment saying one word, they also vote up every comment they see.

Plus the scripting. Oh the scripting.

If people like this site and are good members, they will be happy with the satisfaction of voting something good up without being rewarded points.

ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I agree with Cholokid it is a good idea but it could cause ultraspamming.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

I like the idea. Very much.

@Cholokid&Tennisman24&Mrtim
No, they would not get points just for voting comments up. If, say, User A's comment gets rewarded with a merit, User B would then get the AP.

Maybe only one user can vote up a single comment, so User C can't vote up User A's comment. Also, it would not be allowed to vote up your own merit-worthy comment.

It's sort of like the stock market, eh?

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Sorry, mistype there.

If, say, User A's comment gets rewarded with a merit, User B would then get the AP.

Meant to say User B would get AP. User A would get 25 AP, the normal much, and User B would get, say, 4 AP?
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

No, they would not get points just for voting comments up. If, say, User A's comment gets rewarded with a merit, User B would then get the AP.

Right, but they would still vote everything up in hopes that some of the comments would get a merit. I just don't see the help in it.
ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I like your idea Flappbob and that would be cool but it could still be spamming as if someone just votes up all the comments it would mean that they would eventually get AP.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Also it could be bias. Friends voting each other up that kind of thing.

ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

That is true Woody but it may not work all the time.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

I think the idea is a good one. The way to take away from spamming would be to show who bumped it up. If so lets say there is a user D who is just running around bumping up every comment people, and the mods, would see what user D is doing and he would be stopped. Any how they wouldn't be getting anything for bumping up a bad post since it would never get a merit.

Toadlord
Toadlord
497 posts
Shepherd

If only there were no spammers in the world, then this might be a good idea.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This ideas has been discussed before in October: Merit for a merit?

There's a little discussion there why this wouldn't be added.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I think the idea is a good one. The way to take away from spamming would be to show who bumped it up. If so lets say there is a user D who is just running around bumping up every comment people, and the mods, would see what user D is doing and he would be stopped. Any how they wouldn't be getting anything for bumping up a bad post since it would never get a merit.

Do mods stop users from voting 10/10's on every game, just to get AP? I don't think they do. They mostly just delete the comments that follow. This basically follows the same principle.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Gantic posted a link to the old discussion of this idea. Follow that.

What would the point be?
Up-voters does not really contribute. Yes, it is nice to see if a comment is approved by several members, but it doesn't do much in the actual merit awarding process. Thus, they have not done anything thst should earn them any points.

Showing 1-14 of 14