ForumsSupport ForumWhat Is user doing now!?

10 1480
im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

There should be a button on a users profile that tells the user viewing the profile what they are doing at the moment, like something simple though from, playing a game to on the forums or in the forums gaming section, or viewing their own profile, tell me what you think, pros/cons please.

• 10 Replies
theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Well, this has been brought up before, only con I see in it is if someone is stalking somebody else then they will never get away.

Well, maybe an optional view could be used?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Only one con I can think of, and that's the part about receiving information. The server will have to monitor what the user is doing and that takes effort to do. As for pros, well, it can sort of "locate" where the user is and check if he/she is currently active in the forums. In my opinion, it would be pretty handy to have. The green button in the users' profile shows that he/she is on, but not what they are currently doing, so it would be cool to have something like this here.

Bricks
Bricks
17 posts
Nomad

This has been suggested before.
Con #1: Useless
Con #2: Stalkish
Con #3: Too much work for something that we don't need.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Ok, so the two people above and below me say it would be stalking... How exactly can it be stalking?!

I mean, it's not like there are chats in games and threads where you can bug the person all day long, and when they leave you can just check where they are and repeat the process.... So how is it being used for stalking?

As for being useless, this would be more useful than the green/red button under the users' names, for it would show the users' activity more specific. It would just slow the site down significantly becuase it would receive information constantly.

Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

I think he meant editable yourself, like the facebook thing. I personally think you should just add it to your profile, thought that might be too much work for some people.

So, I think maybe he meant it should be under the box at the top left corner and you could type it and hit "ok" and then it would edit it.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Ok, so the two people above and below me say it would be stalking... How exactly can it be stalking?!

Well for one like firetail, since he has his comments closed the only way to talk to him is by going to where he last made a forum post then post there and talk to him by that way.
Destor
Destor
706 posts
Nomad

Oh, crap, I meant upper-right. And I also meant to say that it would show up on your profile. As well as possibly under your armatar in forum posts?

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

As for bricks I said list PROS AND CONS not just the cons and stick to the subject guys your going a little off like the location of where it should be lol, and it isn't stalking, lolz.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well for one like firetail, since he has his comments closed the only way to talk to him is by going to where he last made a forum post then post there and talk to him by that way.

That was more spam than anything, because he was highly ranked.

Well, I've already stated what I think was the pro and con of the idea. It can help further locate users where they are, but it has a possibility of slowing down the site from grabbing a lot of information.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

This has been suggested many times before. As far as I know, this idea is not going to happen. Many users keep multiple pages open at the same. Generally people shown as "online" are either searching for games to play or in the community. Otherwise, after playing a game for about 5 min, they will be considered offline for being inactive (a user is considered active if they reboot the webpage or move around within the site).

Showing 1-10 of 10