ForumsProgramming ForumGame test review

50 24893
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Hey all, for the past few weeks I've been working on a game idea, and by now there's a playable version. I didn't really know where to put this, so I just posted in this forum section.

In any case, please try it (here) and let me know what you think, any ideas and/or criticism is most welcome.
Please note, I haven't done much graphic-wise, so it doesn't look that awesome at all... but the overall idea should be clear.

And yes, PixelSmash == NeoPlasmicEagle...

• 50 Replies
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

anatolytt; I've heard that before so I'm assuming it does... haven't played spore though, so I can't really tell ^^;

Aaron; I know So far there were only three evolutionary stages anyway, so you made it through the test... pretty hard huh, without predators XD Lol, anyway, I know the upgrade section needs some work, and I'll definately work on it!

Thanks for your comments guys

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

I liked the concept. The jellyfish was really cool. I would present it as a mystery-like game, so that the player is unaware just how far he can evolve...

You should also make it so you can evolve a zapping-tentacle, like the other tentacles but it can be whipped around and can hurt enemies. Oh, and add enemies. After each evolution stage (or each level up), there should be a newly loaded level with food, and a big LEVEL X message that appears on screen to introduce the level. Also, make the camera zoom out as you play...my jelly didn't fit on the screen by the end of it!

Great concept, and good programming! Keep it up!

Blindsight
Blindsight
7 posts
Nomad

It is a bit Spore-ish, but don't worry about that. Unless you are super creative it's going to have elements from other games. Doesn't mean you can't make it want you want it to be.

You've got a good base to expand it how you want it to expand, so go for it.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

I like it. Maybe some music, colour and better text. The text is a bit small and complicated. Great idea! Nice job.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I thought it was difficult, because my microbe ate so much stuff that it became huge (the size of the playing screen). In my opinion the screen should zoom out when you get too big. You should also be able to eat microbes from all sides, because most of those things eat using "endocytosis" they really don't have a defined place for a mouth.

ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

Good Things
1.It has a lot of playability
2.graphics look very good
3.It has a lot enemys

Things that could be added/improved
1.You should add more evolution forms
2.Needs a story

Other than that it is really good

ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

overall a very nice game I love it keep it up

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Hey ZeroComp, thanks for the feedback!

About your improvement ideas: more evolution forms are definately my intention. While only a few are available right now, there should be about 10-20 different forms eventually.
The story is indeed something I'm thinking about. While I definately agree it would improve the game, I can't (yet) come up with a somewhat useful storyline.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

If it had a story, cool evolutions upgrades, and power-ups or such things as that It would be cool. Also enemies.. How do you expect to get gameover?

ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

yea and again like everyone else says there does need to be enemys like maybe viruses or something like that

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

PLEASE, make more of the game before posting it up for review. Maybe an instruction/title screen?

This is crap right now, sorry but I had to say it. This is more like a game engine example, not a complete game.

So everyone that posted before me, yes this is a good game engine example. Not a good game yet, too much more work to be done to finish it.

waynaul
waynaul
73 posts
Nomad

Plasmafish,

Although the title of the thread is "Game test review", PixelSmash is not asking for a review as if it were a completed game. It's clear from the posts that his game is in the alpha/beta stage and he is looking for constructive feedback. Also, this thread is several months old and the original link goes to a page with a submission date of a year ago. It's likely that you not seeing the latest build of his game. I know my website has a very old version of my game.

In any case, I have NOT seen any post from Dank discouraging posts about early builds of a game, so if someone wants feedback on their budding game engine, they are free to post it.

-Waynaul

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Sorry, I guess if this board allowed posts to be edited he could have put the new game up in the first post.

Well my feedback stated that I thought the game on the first post looked like a game engine instead of a completed game with textures, pause screen type functions, instructions, and a title/start screen. These are all very basic features of the game but I did not see them on the game in the first post. And after almost a year I assumed it was updated on that link but maybe I missed the newest version?

Am I not allowed to speak my mind on this forum?

I did say that he had a good game engine going there. He's only a couple steps away from making it a complete game, but there are always programming bumps that need to be smoothed out which can take time.

ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

You are,just don't be overly harsh about it the ideas nice so at least compliment him about that

maffegozer
maffegozer
64 posts
Nomad

how does the game work :P
Don't understand it.

Showing 16-30 of 50