ForumsProgramming ForumGame test review

50 24891
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Hey all, for the past few weeks I've been working on a game idea, and by now there's a playable version. I didn't really know where to put this, so I just posted in this forum section.

In any case, please try it (here) and let me know what you think, any ideas and/or criticism is most welcome.
Please note, I haven't done much graphic-wise, so it doesn't look that awesome at all... but the overall idea should be clear.

And yes, PixelSmash == NeoPlasmicEagle...

• 50 Replies
ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

It looks complicated but its fun.

TheWhiteStripe
TheWhiteStripe
1,306 posts
Nomad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed

rino
rino
27 posts
Nomad

It looks and feels the same as the first stage of SPORE

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Pretty Good, it just gets boring after a while.
I'm guessing this is still in the works so not to bad, also another thing is couldn't figure what you were supposed to eat and not.

15Master1
15Master1
48 posts
Nomad

good idea do you want to make a game like Spore?

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

I notice you're perpetuating the classic video game misconception of evolution. Biological evolution does not occur in a single organism. You should call it metamorphosis or something.

Also, you should tell people on Newgrounds that you're looking for an artist. There are tons of them, and the framework you've built is perfect for communicating the idea of what you want them to draw.

Pacmanpwner
Pacmanpwner
181 posts
Nomad

i agre with rino, it looks alot like spore, but i could not evolve or anything, looks like the beginnings of a greatt game!

rjbman
rjbman
215 posts
Nomad

It's fun... as it's been said, graphics could be a little better. But gameplay is quite good.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Haha, never thought I'd see this thread revived! Almost forgot about it, because of all the stuff I've been doing lately (which includes a ton of AS-related stuff, so the experience gain is huge)

I notice you're perpetuating the classic video game misconception of evolution. Biological evolution does not occur in a single organism. You should call it metamorphosis or something.

Good point. Devour is only a working title though, which gives me the freedom to rename it every day if I'd want to
And I did realise the whole misconception thing. I do realize ofcourse that no single organism can evolve in itself, let alone evolve a number of times. However, and I hope to enhance this with a good storyline, this does present an interesting way of playing. I realise it's been done before, but then again - there is hardly any idea that hasn't been thought before. It's how you work it out that matters...

Also, you should tell people on Newgrounds that you're looking for an artist. There are tons of them, and the framework you've built is perfect for communicating the idea of what you want them to draw.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't actually thought of this before. I'm not yet sure I want a separate artist, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind. Thanks for your reply!

As for the spore-related posts: I've heard it before, but I myself haven't played spore, and I only vaguely know the way it works. It wasn't an inspiration, in any case. But, from what I understand, Spore was quite successful, so I'll take it as a compliment!
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

it looks neat. Now you just have to add a few enemies, goals and fixing the controlling/bugs and it would be a complete professional game.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Good post PixelSmash!

jesse022190
jesse022190
3 posts
Nomad

A little bit confusing about what to do but a very neat idea. I think if you gave it an interesting story maybe some different evolutionary paths and it would be an instant hit!

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I think if you gave it an interesting story maybe some different evolutionary paths and it would be an instant hit!

Thanks! The way I set it all up should make it relatively easy to add different evolutions and evolutionary paths - so already ahead of you!
As for the confusing part, I know I should implement a tutorial of sorts, to guide the player along the first few level-ups. I did however intend it to be a game you have to figure out yourself, find what works best agains specific creatures. Think vulnerable versus hardened bodyparts etc.

Good post PixelSmash!

Thanks!
ZeroComp
ZeroComp
383 posts
Nomad

What is you current progress haven't heard from you in a long time! :]

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Oh, by the way. I just tried out your game. I thought it was a great concept and i really enjoyed it more than i did with other BETA's (if that's what your game is of course My suggestion is that you make turning a little closer, it got a bit annoying when i had to make a big u-turn just to get those little critters/grey foodish things . I read the description on the game and I know you're working on upgrades for the creature.

You probably have most of these ideas but anyways here they go:

- faster swimming/scurrying
- The ability to add more parts to your creature.(ie, jaws, fins, horns etc)
- Followers to help your little creature in his epic quest in evolution (heehee)

I also had some ideas for the game:

- Predators, bigger and smaller.
- Mates, so you can reproduce making more of your certain species.
- EXP counter
- Medals/awards

Thanks for reading this, and i have high hopes for your game
(btw, this took me like 30 mins to write this and come up with the suggestions

Showing 31-45 of 50