ForumsProgramming ForumGame test review

50 24906
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Hey all, for the past few weeks I've been working on a game idea, and by now there's a playable version. I didn't really know where to put this, so I just posted in this forum section.

In any case, please try it (here) and let me know what you think, any ideas and/or criticism is most welcome.
Please note, I haven't done much graphic-wise, so it doesn't look that awesome at all... but the overall idea should be clear.

And yes, PixelSmash == NeoPlasmicEagle...

• 50 Replies
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

Thanks, your imput is very appreciated! There are some suggestions you've made that I hadn't even thought about, and I certainly don't want to rule anything out!

I've been stuck for quite a while, since I didn't know how I'd deal with leveling up and skills / traits, both in coding and in design.
Last week I think I found something for it though, so hopefully I'll be able to design it this week, and add some code to it.

I hate it when I'm stuck -_-

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

It is a bit like Cosmic Crush, but it is still pretty good. Nice game!

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

it might just be me, but all i have is a oval shape and guys to eat. nothing happens when i eat. and there is no level like i saw in that screen, nor any evolutions.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I've been stuck for quite a while, since I didn't know how I'd deal with leveling up and skills / traits, both in coding and in design.

Well once you have an idea it should be simple. For example you probably have speed as a variable somewhere and you can make a trait to increase that variable a little.

For leveling up I don't really know how you game destroy the sprites/movieclip once there is a collision but you could make a counter for that and increase the experience by the same code that you destroy the other creatures. Just shove a counter in there and every time something is destroyed it increases. It's simple but it'll get you started.

I hate it when I'm stuck -_-

That's programming for you. I was stuck with my game since I had no idea how the display list function for actionscript masked objects and I'm stuck now since my whole design has to change because masks are not feasible with the system so I have to change everything.
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

it might just be me, but all i have is a oval shape and guys to eat. nothing happens when i eat. and there is no level like i saw in that screen, nor any evolutions.

That could be... it's quite possible that the link doesn't reflect the latest version. I'm also in the process of setting up a page on my personal website, which makes uploading a lot simpler for me - plus the option of being able to add all sorts of other things, ie. changelogs and other descriptions. In any case, I'll have to check the link

Well once you have an idea it should be simple. For example you probably have speed as a variable somewhere and you can make a trait to increase that variable a little.

Indeed I do The main problem was mostly that I didn't know how to incorporate those traits since I didn't know how I'd structure the leveling process.

For leveling up I don't really know how you game destroy the sprites/movieclip once there is a collision but you could make a counter for that and increase the experience by the same code that you destroy the other creatures. Just shove a counter in there and every time something is destroyed it increases. It's simple but it'll get you started.

Each creature actually has a specific mass, which gets added to the overall. Once you've reached a certain mass, a number of different functions get called - show the levelup screen, pause the gameplay itself, etc.

Anyways, there is nothing I can add but; will this be a eat to lvl or get money to lvl? the first idea is better, but the choise is yours.

This will probably eat to level. I probably will incorporate something like building blocks which you can use for your development, but I don't want to steer away from the whole leveling thing, as it makes the progress a lot simpler to see. One bar versus many bars... one bar is better
Showing 46-50 of 50