ForumsProgramming ForumWhat am I missing?

10 3700
DaliuXas
DaliuXas
71 posts
Scribe

Alright here's the deal.Oh and first please don't flame me for making this topic when there's already a sticky.I am currently gathering everything I need to start creating a flash game.Got few questions which are really important.
Ok so I managed to buy myself this book - http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Flash-Professional-Classroom-Book/dp/032157382X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231005317&sr=1-1

I have bought Adobe Flash CS4 Professional.I have now a guide and a program to start working with.What else do I need to make a full flash game?Also I am currently 14 (so there's way too much time until I can start 3D stuff) is there any difference between 3D game making and Flash?Also what's the difference between Flash and a 2D game?I appreciate for you're answers fellow programmers (or those who know at least , still thanks ;])
Cheers.

• 10 Replies
LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

You have everything you need to make a flash game. The main difference that flash has over all other 3D and 2D games is that they are playable on the internet and without a download.

DaliuXas
DaliuXas
71 posts
Scribe

But this means if I have let's say 3 years of experience with adobe flash and I will be starting to work with 3D games , will there be any difference or will I feel it?This is really important thing I need to know.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Yes. LordBob is correct. More people trust Flash for gaming, since you play out of your browser, and don't have to download any potentially spyware executables. Also, it will in most cases look the same on Windows, MAC, or Linux, and you don't need to compile the game to match all those operating systems first.

Flash is sometimes very limited, and doesn't have any real good (or at least easy to use) 3D features. The only reason I use Flash is because a large percentage (I need to get ahold of the actual figure, but it is somewhere around 95%) of computers have flash on them.

Also, a tip if you are working in CS4, unless you are using any commands that require CS4, you might want to compile your project into Flash 9 instead of Flash 10. That way, even people who have not upgraded Flash can still play your game without any major hassle.

Have you programmed in any other languages before?

DaliuXas
DaliuXas
71 posts
Scribe

To be honest my dear friend I am totally green.I do not know anything about programming I have only been toying with Milkshape 3D 1.70 and Reality Factory 0.71 and I've only read the fundamentals section of D game making , explaining the positions which are available when people start making a full 3D game.Other than that I don't even know what do you use C++ or PHP thingies for.I would majorly appreciate if you could give me a little lesson about C++ or PHP.Or at least tell me something about it.

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

PHP is the code that sends info through a form. The game search under the AG logo is a PHP script that takes what you typed in and looks for games that match your search, based on tags and titles.

C++ is a multiplatfrom language that lets you build applications.

Both are VERY hard to learn without prior programming experience.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Flash is not really a great software for 3D, most of its public is not expecting 3D, and I guess you would be better with some add-ons that are sold specifically to add 3D objects with ease

I'm not a big fan of those books, mostly because they're not game oriented, you'll learn a lot of stuff that is not necessary

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

And as for 3D modeling, I know you can create models in Blender (blender.org) It is free, and a fantastic piece of software once you get used to it.

It has a gaming engine inside of it, but people who play the game need to run it through Blender as well, I think. I'm not sure where you can create a full-fledged 3D game that runs as an executable, but I would be glad to look into that for you.

Otherwise, you could try developing levels for Portal and Half Life. I believe there is a level editor available once you buy the games. I haven't messed around with it much.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

WHAT AM I MISSING.......................

You have depressed the Grammar/Spelling Nazis greatly.
Grammar/Spelling Hitler about to kill self in, 3, 2, ......
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Gah!!!! My eyes!!!! Too few line breaks... to many mistakes... it burns...

stonester, please never do that again.

mistermagoo6
mistermagoo6
60 posts
Nomad

stonester, y do u like tht WWE crap??? its all fake. they barely even hit each other!!!!

Showing 1-10 of 10