ForumsProgramming ForumGame programming game tutorials - proper Object Orientated Programming. Learn more!

4 2927
Awoogamuffin
Awoogamuffin
19 posts
Nomad

Hi there!

Right, people have been talking about coding on the timeline and whatnot, but really if you want to make a big game, you want to use Flash's object-oriented nature. It makes it much easier to expand your game, because each element is self contained and once you've coded your tank, for instance, you don't need to think about it again...

Coding like this is pretty confusing at first, but I'm making a series of tutorials explaining how to do it, here:

www.flashgametutorials.blogspot.com

you need some understanding of programming in ActionScript 3 before starting - this isn't so much about learning how to program, but how to organise your code for bigger games.

So far I've got this far (I know, not much). A and D to turn, W to thrust:

<div style="text-align: center;"><embed pluginspage=" http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://sites.google.com/site/awoogamuffin/flashfiles/04movement.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="400" width="550"></embed></div>

Hope you find some of it useful!

• 4 Replies
Awoogamuffin
Awoogamuffin
19 posts
Nomad

Oops, embed code doesn't work... you can see the flash file on the blogspot site. Ignore all the nonsense...

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

You mean programming on the movieclips' own timeline?

Awoogamuffin
Awoogamuffin
19 posts
Nomad

Nope, programming in separate ActionScript files. You only use Flash for creating images or animations - all the coding is elsewhere. The tutorials explain how.

The advantage is that you can easily expand your game, and you have a much clearer structure.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Oh right, like professional game programming, never knew Flash had that

It it a lot easier to expand and have more programmers comming in, as each one works in a specific file

Showing 1-4 of 4