ForumsSupport ForumSpamming, why do people do it?

13 2763
the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

Why do people spam? its pointless, getting points isnt the aim of Armorgames, making friends, being happy, having a good time, is the point of this game, so why make it different, its already good as it is, dont make this game boring, pointless and sad, if you agree with me or have any other suggestions, post here.

• 13 Replies
deth4
deth4
764 posts
Nomad

people spam because they have no job/girlfriend.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

i suppose thats a reason, but if they have no job, how did they get the pc/laptop?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

It's not that most people want to, it's that most are just ignorant of what's to be expected. Most have no internet experience with courtesy with the forums and other forms of typing. Those that want to spam know that doing so will make other people angry and annoyed, so they want to do that in order to have fun with it. Then for Armorgames, there's the thing called AP. People want to be the highest and want to have all the armatars, so they spam just for AP. They don't care if its against the rules, they do so anyways, without any regards to the T&C.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

i suppose your right shin, they cant do anything about it, theres nothing to do, i think they should try, i mean, banning them? good idea, but there just ganna make another account, they should at least ban the computer which the person is logged onto, i know this is possible, but idk how it works

Matty360
Matty360
764 posts
Nomad

No offence but it's obvious why people spam. They want AP's. They want loads of points so they can be respected and 'famous'.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

but thats what this topic is about, why do people spam? respect and being famous is the most obvious reason, but, well i mean, it would get them famous, in a bad way and they wouldn't be respected because people would know there spammers, so, if there not the reason? what is, now that, is what this topic is about.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Some people also spam for attention. They want to be noticed and recognized.

Similarly to how some children will hit you or be loud for no reason, just so everyone around will notice them.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

im sorry for the name, i just noticed i spelt it wrong, i dont think u can change it, if so, tell me

thanks.

the1andonly
the1andonly
115 posts
Nomad

any other reasons why people spam?

jond
jond
267 posts
Nomad

Well it's obvious that we all think spammers want attention and AP points to be "famous" as they call it.

rafa1
rafa1
92 posts
Nomad

bored+nothing to do = spam

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Because they want points.

I dunno, i happen to like ice cream so i guess that solves it.

Noooooo, this is no spam ._.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

This thread is appropriate in every way but I am going to lock it. Before I explain why, I have to explain the issue with spam. I will eventually give you the answers to why this thread was locked.

The reason why spamming bothers everybody is beyond me. Most spammers will post irresponsibly in only a few games. Generally, those people do not make it past 100 armor points, 300 at most. Therefore, if they are spamming for points, they give up before they get anywhere; thus they are best to be ignored.

We (the mods) can not ban everybody for spamming because the main goal of armorgames is to attract people to play the games. Banning people for small time spamming is ridiculessly overpunishing. Not to mention many people probally wont even notice they are banned considering it may be days before they get on ArmorGames again. Maybe not, but then you have people who feel that the rules here are too strict and they don't come back. We do not want that to happen.

Spam in the forums is something different. It is more intrusive. There are a lot of posts out there that are short and dumb like "I agree" but if we delete all those comments in certain areas of the site, then we will only delay for whats more to come. The best way to get rid of those short posts is to post by example. When you see a short post of about 2 words or so, just write an apropriate post, a forum post that is proper. Eventually that user may understand the propper way of posting.

Now lets take all the spam and all the stuff that isn't spam, but talks about the spam problem, such as this thread. You will notice that there are a lot of these "spam problem" threads going around. Though they are not wrong to be posted, I myself personally find these threads more annoying than the spam. Thats right, the people complaining or trying to figure out new anti-spam strategies are becoming as annoying as the spammers themselves.

The best way to fix the spam problem is to take control of the forums, outnumber their spam with appropriate comments and posts. Ignore the spam and focus on having fun. If someone is spamming a lot to where they are gaining a lot of points, or the spam is intrusive, then go ahead and report them. The minor spam is not a problem. It is the stuff thats intrusive that must be focused on.

The first step to fixing spam, is to forget about spam. When you see it, don't think twice about it. Report it to a mod, and never think of the spam again. Dom't worry about cleaning up every little bit of spam you find. Don't worry about thinking of new ways of cleaning up spam. Just enjoy the site and have fun like you are meant to.

Just clear your mind, focus on the threads you enjoy. Focus on playing games and your friends. Focus not on the spam but the good qualities of the site. To help you take that first step, I am locking this thread. Become an example and if enough people post more to have fun than to complain about spam, then the less spam there will seem to be.

Kudos for anybody who read the whole speech.

Showing 1-13 of 13