ForumsProgramming ForumThe Open Source Coding Challenge #1 - "Pong!" - SUBMISSIONS ONLY! [Ends Jan 16]

1 2896
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

For the Glory and Honor, we bring you;
The First Even Open Source Coding Challenge!

This challenge's theme is Pong and is due January 16th, 2009.

Program as you may, but how far are you willing to go to sway the audience?

SUBMITTING
Submissions must at the least include the source or the full copied code. If the code is display oriented (such as this Pong game), also include a link to the SWF file. If you are unable to upload a SWF anywhere, ask another developer (such as me), and we will help you out.

Then you may also add other information and comments about the project.

Here is a sample submission:

Two Spheres Game
By Andreas J. Renberg

SWF: http://sample.com/projects/TwoSpheres.swf
Source: http://sample.com/projects/TwoSpheres.zip

The object of this game is to try to throw one of the spheres so that it hits another. Watch out for the enemies!

Controls: WASD + Space

This game runs faster than normally because I never once use the hitTest() command. Instead, I used this code for checking the collision between the two spheres:

public function collide(cir1:Circle, cir2:Circle):Boolean
{
//Check the distance between the spheres
//Using the trig function a^2 + b^2 = c^2
var Distance:int = ( (cir1.x - cir2.x)^2 + (cir1.y - cir2.y)^2 )^(1/2)

if ((cir1.width + cir2.width) >= Distance)
{ return true; } //Circles are colliding
else
{ return false; } //Circles are not colliding
}

More details can be found inside the source and in the ReadMe.txt file.

Do not write any other comments or opinions in this thread. Instead, leave all discussion for the Pong Discussion Thread.

JUDGING
Players may judge even if they submitted a game, and even if they are not programmers. Please keep an open mind, and to not be too overly obsessed with your own code to accept anyone else's success.

Unless no agreement can be made, there is no official voting. Instead, the winner will be selected based on a general consensus. The real discussion will be done on the 17th and 18th (but feel free to post your opinions before that), and a winner will be selected on the 19th.

Even though judging is mutual, keep the following things in mind:
Readability - How well do you understand the code? Did the developer explain what he was doing or what the code does? Did he leave plenty of comments?

Reusability - How easy it is to transfer the code to other projects with minimal modification?

References - Did the developer provide links to sites where you can learn more about the topic at hand or certain functions he used? Did he use any copyrighted code and didn't tell anyone where he got it from? (Shame, shame, shame)

May the Challenge Begin!
  • 1 Reply
Awoogamuffin
Awoogamuffin
19 posts
Nomad

I present to you: AwoogaPong!

It's embedded on this blogspot page:

http://awoogamuffinagpc.blogspot.com/

It's not quite finished really, but today's friday, so here's what I have. Also, I experimented a lot with this, and there's loads of horrible, uncommented and inefficient code. I'll try to clear it all up tomorrow and upload the source code...

There's also a couple of things I want to change. But hey, it's the deadline.

Tell me what you think!

Showing 1-1 of 1