ForumsSupport ForumCopy and Pasting from Word

7 1700
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I'm pretty sure we're familiar with the oddness that happens after you copy and paste from a word document onto here. Why is that, and can it be fixed? I use Notepad for copy/paste purposes now, and it's not too big of a deal anyway; it's just a little distracting when someone forgets or doesn't know and it makes their post hard to read.

• 7 Replies
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Microsoft word makes rounded quotes (whatever you want to call it. Yea it's not much of a big deal and no you can't fix it, you can try writing on Microsoft Word and pasting it notepad and replace all the apostrophe's and quote marks.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

...Or, to change what Plokkey said, write from notepad to begin with! AG doesn't support "smart quotes", you know, the quotes that actually have a position, and they end up with an accent letter with two ??'s beside it. If you're writing something, like a review, it's much better to start off typing in Notepad, then paste it from there.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

AG doesn't support "smart quotes",

Is it AG that doesn't support this, or FireFox? Are people still having this problem in IE.

It would be a simple thing for the database administrator to add a line of code that replaces all smart quotes with regular quotes when you submit a post.

Is it only smart quotes that does this, or are there other characters?
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Is it AG that doesn't support this, or FireFox? Are people still having this problem in IE

Definitely AG, because other websites used by Firefox work with smart quotes. And some accented letters and symbols do not work on AG, replacing those with other, mistaken letters.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Is it only smart quotes that does this, or are there other characters?
Almost all other letters than the qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm, I think. And lots of symbols too.
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Some that can not be used on your profile can not be used on the forum or comments, some can't be used in your profile at all. So stay away from symbols.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Some that can not be used on your profile can not be used on the forum or comments, some can't be used in your profile at all. So stay away from symbols.

But there are some symbols that work on the profiles, but not in the forums, such as the chinese letters and all that. Those would not work in the forums...

Oh, and sometimes you will be unlucky and be fooled, even though you write in notepad... I did... ´ <-- Not working, right? Does in notepad > >
Showing 1-7 of 7