ForumsProgramming ForumGame artwork

8 3956
PsychoIncarnate
PsychoIncarnate
1,037 posts
Nomad

Is non vector artwork discouraged in flash games?

I was wondering since I can design better interfaces in Photoshop and just use vector based images for the characters and, basically everything that moves.

I guess I could try and remake everything with vector art, but...

• 8 Replies
dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Vectors are more efficient than raster in both file size and rendering time. It really depends on the application and what you're doing with them though.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Vectors are more efficient than raster in both file size and rendering time. It really depends on the application and what you're doing with them though.

You are correct that vectors take up much less space (== less loading time for a game) than raster graphics.

However, I believe that vector graphics have a higher rendering time, however, when you are working with only a couple of sprites, it won't make a noticeable difference. It only makes a difference in massive projects with hundreds of sprites.

Also, it is possible to cache sprites and MovieClips as bitmaps, so they don't have to be redrawn each time they are resized or moved, which reduces the rendering time.
PsychoIncarnate
PsychoIncarnate
1,037 posts
Nomad

What if the image never moves?

I wasn't talking about using character sprites

anatolytt
anatolytt
64 posts
Peasant

If you dont plan to scale your flash app, i think it's ok to use raster graphics.

joeybetz
joeybetz
107 posts
Shepherd

I don't see why you couldn't. In fact I've seen some awesome games done using almost no vector graphics whatsoever. It just depends on what you need.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

joeybetz... drakojan skies? That game uses only a very small amount of vector images, and looks incredibly sweet.

But, as has been said before, it just depends on what you need. If for instance you want to do all your graphics in photoshop and import them into flash, that's possible.
Like with everything, just make sure it all fits together, that every element is made in the same style.

thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

My opinion would be that if it works, its fine.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I can't do nice art in games for nuts. My drawing sucks quite badly...

Showing 1-8 of 8