ForumsSupport ForumHarmless way to create more effective forumming

40 4724
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I think that there should be a function to up-vote forum posts. Some times a good point is brought up in a topic, but some people just ignore it. Because the post is good, the comment would be up-voted, and would be more noticed.

Also a good substitution to quote someone and just say "I agree".

Questions, Comments, problems..?

• 40 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

could make some sort of merit posts w/ that idea

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well plokkey I'm sorry to say,but I believe this has both been suggested before,but also I think it was shot down, for whatever reason.I know this idea is implemented already in some sites,and a similar system is already used for the game comments to help award merits.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

well plokkey I'm sorry to say,but I believe this has both been suggested before,but also I think it was shot down

Well a lot of suggestions have gone through that

For the merit idea, that was definitely shot down, I was just changing it so it doesn't include merits. So you have to find something else about this idea that will make this suggestion shot down.
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

it's a good idea, but as crimson said, it's been shot down before for some reason or another...

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that there should be a function to up-vote forum posts. Some times a good point is brought up in a topic, but some people just ignore it. Because the post is good, the comment would be up-voted, and would be more noticed.

I actually think this is a very good idea.

The only downside i can see is that the n00bs would vote-up all there useless posts, so we would be back to square one. But they could just program it so you can not vote-up you're own posts.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

That would be a good idea...
Like on youtube, you can't vote on your own comments or rate your own vids... =)

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

The only downside i can see is that the n00bs would vote-up all there useless posts, so we would be back to square one. But they could just program it so you can not vote-up you're own posts.

You need to up-vote a comment a certain amount of times before it appears bigger, should work the same in the forums.
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

And you should only be able to up-vote a comment once.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

And you should only be able to up-vote a comment once.

No, because then eventually no one would be able to do anything about a good comment being dragged down by useless ones.
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

No, because then eventually no one would be able to do anything about a good comment being dragged down by useless ones.

????????????????????????????????????

You can only up-vote a particular comment once already, so it wouldn't be a problem.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

No, what i am saying is this:

Okay, say you can only vote it up-once. Then, eventually, most people will have used there vote-up, and then, there will be no one left to vote it up and it will be pushed back by useless posts.

So we should be able to vote up as many times as we want to keep the good posts alive.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Or maybe if it gets like, 10 up-votes it will be "stickied"...

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I don't get how they will be pushed back.

*confused*

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I think this idea is pretty good. Though I am not sure if it will ever be implimented into the site. The best way to get people posting more responsibly is to ignore threads full of one sentece posts (no matter how badly you want to post in them) and only post in threads were the head post and most of the other posts are well thought out. It is most important to ignore threads were the starting post is only a sentence and instead of being creative themselves, they just ask a random question for the sole purpose of making a thread, despite lack of effort.

If we keep the threads with a lot of long, detailed, and well thought out posts bumped to the top, people will most likely see them and post in a more mature manner. At least keep the threads where the starting post is well written and more than a sentence bumped up.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Are we talking about posts or threads here? Voting up threads would be pointless.

Or maybe if it gets like, 10 up-votes it will be "stickied"...

This is a horrible idea because threads are only stickied when they include rules for the forum, important information, or the exceptions of contests in the art section. If threads become stickied when people vote up on them, we will not only have our rules and important info mixed up with regular threads, but we will have way too many stickied threads.
Showing 1-15 of 40