ForumsProgramming ForumC++?

10 3540
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

I am trying to pick classes for highschool next year, and was wondering if c++ would be a good class to take to get into programing? I will need to take a class before that, but still...

• 10 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well skater C++ I know off hand is both a rewarding yet difficult programming language to learn.I can't say I'm too great at it yet,but I have learned of the capabilities of the language and some basics,but plan to be fluent in it by the end of the year.(Advanced classes for robotics are quite useful for situations like these) but anyways in my personal opinion as long as you know what you are getting yourself into and have already have some basic if not good exceptional understanding of other programming languages by the time you learn in then I would assume as long as you try to learn it that you would be fine.Still I think it would be wise to consult with more experienced programmers beyond myself,if you want a true professional opinion.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Great language to start in. If you get into OOP and the likes, you'll be very well off in any programming environment.

Blindsight
Blindsight
7 posts
Nomad

I'd say go for it. When it comes down to it, once you learn how to program in one language it's more of a question of knowing what to type rather than knowing how to program in any other language. Programming, for the most part, is programming. It's more of a way of thinking than anything.

Once you learn how to program (in any language) it's pretty easy to pick up other languages, one after another until you find one that suits your style/laziness.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

I think you should start with Basic

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Well I would have to wait untill 10th grade to take that class. First iwould have to take some more basic HTML stuff.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

oh I never noticed your age.So your in 8th grade then.Well either way I'm in 10th grade learning it,and HTML is a good language to learn as in a way its the foundation in making a website.Consider yourself lucky that your school is giving courses for just those programming languages.Ours tries to teach just about everything they can towards certain things.Like CST1 which teaches HTML also teaches contribute Flash animation,video production,and editing,as well as tons of other things pertaining to basic computer use.Then Physics II(AKA Robotics Class) is teaching C++,but that will only be for one semester.Be glad that even though it will be two years from now that you are getting a whole year to learn it.(unless of course you are learning other things in that class in which I will look like a complete idiot,but whatever)

Jack8black8
Jack8black8
115 posts
Nomad

well if you want to make a game i would take it, but im not sure how i would do at making a game.

soapaintnice
soapaintnice
17 posts
Nomad

C++ would be a great class to take to get into programming. It should teach you the basics concepts that are used when writing in any programming language. Like crimson said, It might be difficult to learn, but it's very rewarding when you do. Once your comfortable with C++, you can easily learn other languages like Java, Actionscript, and Python.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah crimson it is ctually broken in to 2 years. The first year is all about like movment, and things like that....function basically. the next is all bout makeing the game have...well......graphics. lol So in a few years with luck we will have a regular everday user have a game. lol

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

I started in Java, it's a ton of fun, and you get into OOP and it's hard but rewarding. :P

Showing 1-10 of 10