565 posts
Nomad

What does it mean when a topics locked?

• 17 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

It can mean a couple of different things.

Either the thread have been replied to in a way that means that no further posting needs to take place, and then it is locked to prevent people from posting unnecessary replies to something that has been resolved.

Or it can be a repeated topic - a similar thread has been made before, and the new one is locked (often with a link to the old one) to prevent split discussions about the same thing.

It can also be something that is plainly pointless and then locked, not deleted, because people should see why such a thread should not be created.

That's the three most common reasons.

capartyboy1212
capartyboy1212
362 posts
Nomad

Either the thread have been replied to in a way that means that no further posting needs to take place, and then it is locked to prevent people from posting unnecessary replies to something that has been resolved.

then you should lock this then
Toadlord
Toadlord
497 posts
Shepherd

I was just going to say the same thing caparty said.

I've never understood why we give these things a chance to be revived.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I was just going to say the same thing caparty said.

Then you shouldn't have.

A chance to be revived? This thread? The locked threads? What?
paintballer222
paintballer222
565 posts
Nomad

ok thanx

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

Toadlord, you need to specify what it is that you think shouldn't have a chance.

I feel that Zophia said all that needs to be said about this topic.

Toadlord
Toadlord
497 posts
Shepherd

=/ firetail wth man.

I mean that more threads should be locked sooner when someone has an answer, so that we don't have five or six more people saying an answer that's already been stated.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I mean that more threads should be locked sooner when someone has an answer, so that we don't have five or six more people saying an answer that's already been stated.

It's funny that when a thread needs to be locked that there's never any mods on...
paintballer222
paintballer222
565 posts
Nomad

do mods block or do we

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

then you should lock this then
Kept it open in case he had further questions. Please do not question my judgement when I do not display signs of doubt.

Nothing in this thread has anything to do with revival. It was a simple question asked.

I feel that Zophia said all that needs to be said about this topic.
I feel that when people feel that way they should just not post in the thread at hand. If you have nothing to add, don't add it. That goes for everyone.

Actually we should just have a more responsible community that is able to understand when a thread should be allowed to die. I keep hoping, and I keep locking when it proves that it haven't happened...

It's funny that when a thread needs to be locked that there's never any mods on...
Sorry, but nothing ever NEEDS to be locked, and mods do have lives too. Something can NEED to be deleted, but if it needs to be locked it's really only because you need to stop posting.

do mods block or do we
Well, you can block (close) your profile comments, but mods and admins are the only ones who can lock a thread.

As an experiment, I will refuse to lock this thread.
Unless you have something to say that is relevant to the opening post and have not already been said, DO NOT POST HERE.
Let the thread die a natural death instead of being shot by a padlock.
IceDrakeknight
IceDrakeknight
348 posts
Farmer

Maybe she just said this Because to let us know that the thread is sealed up

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

You just failed the test, IceDrakeknight.

I repeat, because it is a new page:
Unless you have something to say that is relevant to the opening post and have not already been said, DO NOT POST HERE.
Let the thread die a natural death instead of being shot by a padlock.

brrrrr
brrrrr
107 posts
Nomad

are threads being locked because of loosing focus on the theme(headline)and/or because of flaming?

just wondering.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Some threads are. If there is a major flamewar going on, the mods might lock the thread then start deleting the flames. If the rest of the thread is all okay, it will be opened again.
The most used reason for locking is because of "spamming", or at least a load of off topic posts, without any relation to the topic at all, or people smalltalking/joining a club, or discussing something that is said in the thread, but is not directly related to the topic.

brrrrr
brrrrr
107 posts
Nomad

arent that kinds of threads supposed to be in the taveren?

btw thaks for the answer

Showing 1-15 of 17