Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Written Nothings

Posted Sep 24, '09 at 8:28pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

I actually (vaguely) see where you're coming from re: Finnegans Wake. I thought I'd pick up Ulysses to see if I could make ANY sense of it, but gave up when I realised that to understand the book in terms even approaching Joyce's intention I would have to become a classics scholar.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world utters a contemptuous "Continental!" and resumes normal programming.

Posted Sep 28, '09 at 2:44pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,495 posts

I thought I'd just start this for the sake of starting this. Retrospect is always better.

Thematic Representations: Time
Refer to:ASC Theme: Time, (Can I still be disqualified if I mention the WPC theme?)

I haven't seen an entry that Wow-ed me since Purple Injection. Anyone with any recollection of that theme *nudge* knows what I'm talking about. The theme of Time was one that was so open, like the Dreams theme, but so closed at the same time. Disappointment followed the lack of entries but what was more disappointing was that it was all a series of iterations of the same idea. The changes were basic at best and I found the WPC version much more refreshing (though I flirted with the rules since I couldn't win anyway :P). I don't entirely know what I would've done with this theme in the ASC, since I haven't had a good idea since Four in a Row, which I still plan to complete (another puzzle, no less). It may've been less direct but quintessentially derivative. Perhaps it's too difficult to break out of the box when things in the box are taken for granted. I have pockets, I use them, and they mean nothing to me.

Posted Sep 29, '09 at 7:54pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,495 posts

Gantic

Gantarchy
Gantesce
Gantesque
Gantian
Ganticable
Gantical
Gantically
Gantican
Ganticious
Ganticism
Ganticity
Gantickery
Gantickian
Gantickish
Ganticky
Ganticose
Ganticous
Gantific
Gantish
Gantitude
Gantoid

Posted Oct 5, '09 at 4:02pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,495 posts

Again Around a Starry Night
Previously: Once Around a Starry Night

It is quiet tonight and even the air that surges above the city lights is silent. One by one the lights wink out and the stars shine brighter on this starry night. Grouped in clusters it is as if watching a disintegrated moon fall apart in a swath across the black velvet sky. Your breath condenses in front of you as you walk along, listening to her footsteps. The vapor dissipates but it remains as one of those little things from childhood as a reminder of when everything was fun, just as it is now as she steps, as she steps, as she steps. Half is this is but a dream and the other half a fancy, but half of it is as real as it gets. The space between now and then and now and who-knows-when is almost impressionistic.

Posted Oct 16, '09 at 1:43pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,495 posts

--This is where we raise the lardfish.

--Yes, lardfish. Large muckers genetically engineered to produce large amounts of lard. About upwards to 85% of their body mass. And, yes when I say genetically engineered, it is by the same man who created the mutant chicken. "Mutant chicken" is a misnomer really, but you can't help public opinion. Still it's creation was a terrible day, but lardfish are 100% completely safe.

--Have you ever had of filet lardon? 12 ounces of pan-fried earthly delight. Tastes just like a slab of pan-seared pork belly without the stringy meat and chewy skin. Falls apart right in the mouth like the perfect steamed fish. you should try it.

--A mucker? Oh, you don't want to know. Trust me.

--Yes, we're raising fish in a water treatment plant.

Reply to Written Nothings

You must be logged in to post a reply!