Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Written Nothings

Posted Feb 8, '09 at 3:23am

kingryan

kingryan

4,165 posts

Ahk...I understand now...I did understand the format to begin with...

I hate it when you can hear people phones...it gets annoying....

Posted Feb 8, '09 at 12:58pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,413 posts

As far as I am aware, INT./EXT. is only used for screenplays to show where the camera goes. (The literal fourth wall doesn't work as well for plays.) If the first scene was EXT., the camera would be outside showing Weatherman inside the store. But it's not entirely properly formatted, which might add to the confusion given the limitations of the boards. The body of appears as if it is a play since there is not centering of text.

I'm probably not using the right words here for clarity. "Sarah's voice/half of conversation can be heard over Weatherman's phone." would be much better, but I got lazy and wanted to use fewer words, which didn't work out so well.

Posted Feb 9, '09 at 12:03am

Gantic

Gantic

7,413 posts

Meta Four

He dragged a large pen sunward along the asphalt. The ink bled into the streets that ran through his heart, the yellowed streets he walked upon when the rain would stop. A figure stood at the end of the road with its back to the sun, a figure no doubt etched in the mind of every child since an early age. It was his moon landing and he was Armstrong. He lifted the oversized pen with its nib pointed at his shadow and charged with a simple battle cry, dreading the day he created the mutant chicken.

Posted Feb 9, '09 at 5:22am

kingryan

kingryan

4,165 posts

O....K....

This remeinds me of the time in Pirate Tales when Pirate meets a Druid that is crazy...and so he hits him over the head...

Posted Feb 9, '09 at 6:00am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Ah, makes more sense Gantic. I meant your penultimate post, of course. I also don't know the proper formatting of each type of script (and have never attempted to write a play), so that hadn't previously crossed my mind.

As for the last one...are you channeling Chomsky? No...there's more sense to the narrative than "colorless green dreams sleep furiously" haha, but it's simply surreal. Maybe channeling Dali!

Posted Feb 9, '09 at 9:53pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,413 posts

Surrealist battles is what preoccupies cognitive processes everyday. (Meaning daydreaming.) With a few mental manifestations, it becomes a metaphor. Of course, it can also be weird because who lives in a surreal world? (Ironic rhetoric alert!)

I've only ever written one (still-unfinished-after-two-years and poorly formatted) play for a friend in theatre, but I suppose I'm the only one who reads a movie's script instead of watching the movie. The only major difference is INT./EXT. I think plays can adopt the centering format of screenplays, though.

"Colorless green dreams sleep furiously" makes absolutely no sense. Then again, I believe Finnegans Wake has a story to it.

Conversations #2 - In Bastang

"Unpaved roads. Sheet metal walls. The place looked like a Hooverville. I hadn't never seen one of those, but everyone knows what they look like. The people wore cheap hand-washed, air-dried clothes and I was being a stupid priss trying not to get dirt on my pant legs. My shoes were a loss already. I have been to disaster areas. I have seen the homeless. They weren't as bad as this place," he said, flailing his arms around as if he couldn't describe the place well enough.
"It's not like we can do anything about it," I replied. "We can help the homeless. Bring aid to disaster areas. We can't do anything about this."
"Yes we can. Yes we can." He paused for a moment. "You know why I was there? Someone won the lottery. The stupid lottery. Just to sponsor four people to live in the city. I still remember his name: Eduin Smith."
"Smith?"
"Yeah, Smith." He looked at me like I was a moron. "They only had this one room without a door. He was lying on a pallet covered in sweat. I ask, 'Eduin Smith?' He just looks at me, so I say 'Congratulations, you've won the lottery.' He turns his eyes up to look at the far side of the room. There were seven pairs of eyes watching me curiously."
"****."
"That's what I said. I threw the papers away and reached into my wallet to pull out $250."
"That's a lot of money."
"You weren't supposed to do stuff like that. If anyone else saw the money, it would've started a riot. I gave him the money and left."
"You know what happened to them?"
"Two became successful doctors, one a lawyer."
"And the others?"
He turned his head away to look out the window.
"Oh."
"The mutant chickens got them."

Posted Feb 10, '09 at 8:11am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Will read your latest entry later (rant on MWT thread will explain why I'm skipping bits).

I suppose I'm the only one who reads a movie's script instead of watching the movie

Not quite, I read scripts in order to fill plot holes, find quotes and sometimes when I'm not quite motivated enough to see the movie but want to give the idea a burl. But this does not happen often.

The colorless thingy is supposed to make no sense- Chomsky's point when he wrote the phrase was to demonstrate that a grammatically correct (according to English) sentence can be parsed but nothing meaningful need be conveyed.

As for Finnegan's Wake...let me recover from uncovering the Pandora's box that was the schema for Ulysses before I come back to Joyce!

Posted Feb 11, '09 at 4:50pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,413 posts

Can't complain about the hours though. It comes with having a career.

Catman, Chocolate, and the Ginger Bun

Once upon a time Catman and Chocolate were sent on a magical quest to search for the powerful, magical Ginger Bun to help save their plagued town. Catman had a magical cloak woven by his half-feline birth mother that made him invisible. Chocolate had magical armor forged by his half-confectionery father that protected him from all harm.
    "We shall not fail in our quest, Chocolate," Catman proclaimed so that all could overhear.
    "Indeed, Catman, Son of my Mother," Chocolate replied in agreement, "for we are strong and unbeatable and handsome."
    "Indeed, Chocolate, Son of my Father," Catman echoed in agreement. "We are strong are strong and unbeatable and handsome for we raised ourselves as orphans in spite of our evil stepparents for our parents were unjustly murdered."
    "Indeed, Brother of Mine," Chocolate added in agreement. "For we lived a hard life, we shall triumph over all."
    "Indeed indeed, Brother of Mine."
    "Indeed."
    "Indubitably."
    "Indeedily-doodily."
    They went on their quest, seeing through all illusions without reason and triumphing over all hardships without defeat and stealing the hearts of all maidens across all the lands without vener--... They finally came upon the hallowed grounds of the Ginger Bun.
    "Perhaps we should rest now, Brother," Chocolate suggested, "for we are near the Ginger Bun and we shall need our strength should enemies wish to do us harm."
    "Indeed, Brother," Catman agreed in agreement.
    They snared a light brown rabbit for dinner and roasted it, not knowing that they were about to eat the Ginger Bun.

Posted Feb 12, '09 at 3:35pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,413 posts

I dislike "suburban" (or contemporary) minimalism, convoluted inflation and pure abstraction, which is probably why I like Calvin and Hobbes, which is undeniably one of the best comics ever. And thus, a display of pedantry with a hint of moronism.

An overview of phrenological convolution cartography from an ontological perspective

Shape of skull = shape of brain

An overview of quotidian Sinological nutritional regimens from a geo-agricultural perspective

Rice in the south. Noodles in the north.

A fiscal approach to the prognostication of unpremeditated outcomes of dual hexahedral incertitude

There's a reason it's called craps. (I'm not sure if that word is censored or not, but it's not hard to guess what it is.)

Optimistic prospects exclusively contingent on profundity within the global information infrastructure

We're doomed.

Posted Feb 13, '09 at 10:35am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Congratulations, you must be the only person ever to submit 4 grad-level theses in the space of a single document :P

Questions though:

1) Why ontological as opposed to anatomical?
2) I've never played craps so I didn't quite understand. Should stochastic be in there somewhere?
3) I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan myself.
4) No we're not: forty-two! :D

Reply to Written Nothings

You must be logged in to post a reply!