ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNeed some major help!!!

11 2951
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Ok, overall, I freaking HATE my color jobs I do, so, I was thinking, why don't I do it on the comp? I have one question regarding this:
When I scan my picture and open it in GIMP (I cannot, repeat, cannot afford photoshop, so don't even suggest it), MY picture ends up on a backround, and I cannot properly color it, because the backround is always white, any suggestions???

• 11 Replies
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I don't understand what your asking.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

backround

You forgot the g.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

You forgot the g.

Ah so that was what that word was...

Maybe you could open it up, Cut it out and paste it in a new layer. If you're talking about opening it in a different program and moving it to the GIMP, I don't think you can do that without getting a white background around it =/

You could just get Photoshop you know XP
Or you could discover the secrets of magical dinosaurs with rainbow ties.
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

The background isn't white, thats your paper. It scans everything including the paper, it doesn't just know what your picture is and what isn't the picture. Just use a color selector with a wide range on the whites.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

The background isn't white, thats your paper. It scans everything including the paper, it doesn't just know what your picture is and what isn't the picture. Just use a color selector with a wide range on the whites.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm getting at, but I'm just wanting the line art, and I can't find a way to make the white transparant, and then put the lineart on a higher layer, so that way I can color it without going over the lines, thus screwing up the color job. I also want to keep it TRADITIONAL, but not traditional coloring....that makes sense?
I have come to nearly Hate photoshop, it's made people think of art in a totally different way, and us traditional artists tend to be close to SHUNNED because of the linework we tend to do, unless it's a painting it looks like they don't care.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Adjust the contrast/color?
That should get the dark darker and the light lighter. Then you can just erase the white part with color erase.

Or you can use the path tool to retrace your lines (in uniform line width) and color that in instead.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Oh wait, I know what your issue is.

When opening a raw scan, everything is put on one layer. GIMP likes to designate this layer Background.

You can't do anything to this layer without working over your lineart, yes? There are two approaches.

1) Find the brush dialogue and switch to Multiply mode as opposed to Normal. This will multiply the colour value as opposed to overwrite it. I recommend that you play with all the brushes as there are many and it's worth working out which ones do what.

2) That doesn't really solve the problem though. The real solution would be:

* Add alpha channel to the Background layer. Alpha is measure of opacity.
* In the Transparency menu, open the color to transparency dialog and make white the colour to make transparent.
* Create a new layer. Make it transparency, white, whatever you want.
* Move your "Background" (should no longer be in bold) layer above your new layer. This layer with the lineart is now in the foreground and the layer below is now your real background.

Working on the new background layer will not affect your foreground layer, which means you're free to colour!

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Omg I never touch the alpha. I am scared to death of it. :3

But thats probs cause I work with stuff I create on my computer and not things that are scanned on! ;D

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Add alpha channel

uhh, I can't find it, what tab should it be under (I.E. File, edit, colors, etc. etc.)
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I'm not familiar with the full functionality of alpha myself (esp. masks etc., as I don't need those right now).

In Gimp 2.2.6+, you can find the alpha dialogues under Layer > Transparency. Alternatively you can right click a layer in the Layers section of the Layers,Channels,Paths,Undo dock and basic Alpha functions (Add, Remove channel) can be found in the dropdown menu.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

In Gimp 2.2.6+, you can find the alpha dialogues under Layer > Transparency.

thank you strop!
Very much appreciated, this will help alot with my art!
Since I srsly can't color for SHIT.
Showing 1-11 of 11