ForumsProgramming ForumHow much money is really in making flash games ?

27 29581
jesse03
jesse03
4 posts
Nomad

I've been dead set latly and have been working very hard on my flash games and was wondering what does the potential revenue look like for creating and distributing flash games ? is it possible to make a living off of them and have you ?

• 27 Replies
dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

$0-100,000 is about the spectrum per flash game. Their are many independent developers who do make a living off of them.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

$0-100,000 is about the spectrum per flash game

Wow I didn't know developers could make $100,000 of a single flash game,but I'm assuming this of course varies depending on how good the flash game is though(as in how many people play it and such),but still thats interesting to know.
Mobyduck
Mobyduck
108 posts
Nomad

Flash games are still games and as such they are used as a trade currency. You give joy to the player and the player (or any company that has an advertisiment in your game) you will pay you. The better the game, the better the payout.

zachattacksox
zachattacksox
279 posts
Nomad

how much money does a great flash game require to make?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

how much money does a great flash game require to make?

OK, I'm just going to do complete guess work on this since I don't know for sure since I have never made one yet, but I'm thinking the initial price of the Adobe Flash which ranges typically from $250-700 depending on if you get the student version and if you go to a site that offers extra discounts for students and such such as the academicsuperstore.com and there may be others,but if there are then I don't know about them.After that the rest depends on what the developer wants to do with the game and whether they want to get others to work with them on music,art, and other things which would split the profit I suppose,but mainly I think its just getting the program.
Mobyduck
Mobyduck
108 posts
Nomad

Just like Crimson said, it depends. You could make a professional game only with friends - Like many MMORPGs are being made - this mean you would only have to pay for the cost of the Flash, food, energy and the computer. After you get the money from the game you just share in equal ammounts between you and your friends.

But if you are going to employe, then the cost will be much higher.

zachattacksox
zachattacksox
279 posts
Nomad

I wasn't going to make a flash game but I was just curious

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't risk making a living on flash I would just do it for fun and to make people happy not for the money.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

a lot i guess. but if you want classes, i heard you have to pay 750$

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

My gess is that the first game you will make $0, but if it's good you could make a second and get some money. Then if that one is good you could make an other on and make even more money, and well you get the idea. To make money your games would have to be popular before they even come out.

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

if you don't make money off flash games, you sure could make a small profit from advertising, everytime som1 clicks one of their adds, the site thats is hosting the link will get like somwere between 0.5-5 cents a click... so yea it adds up if a site is as popular as THIS ONE.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

a lot i guess. but if you want classes, i heard you have to pay 750$

I don't know where that came from,but at my high school as long as you pass the IC3 Certification test(which the school will pay for the first time around) then you can take the class for free elective(as opposed to not taking it at all if you don't pass the test,but its still free and not $750)Still its good to know you can make a profit for making flash games,and if I have a chance to get cash while in High School or College without leaving my room then I think I will try and go for it...
kevinseven11
kevinseven11
36 posts
Nomad

Im surprised no one has said this yet but...
at kongregate I got 400 views and I got $2. And I wasnt expecting it, I was just testing alot of stuff, I got it straight from source code (I drew it and modifyed the code a bit) and im sorry for it.
Also If kongregate picks you to make a prenuim game (like this one) http://www.kongregate.com/games/intuition/dinowaurs
you can get funded up to 100 grand. Sound good right?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

yeah from what I can tell that seems to be the difference between games on Kongregate and on AG.They seem to let just about any game get on their site no matter whether it is good or bad.If AG gets a game that gets a lot of complaints then I have seen some games disappear from the site,but now I am wondering what game you submitted to the site that got you $2.

jjrocks66
jjrocks66
913 posts
Shepherd

well i think that the money depends on if the site is free or not cause if you make a game on a free site you wint get anything but you make a game in a not so free site people will join and you will earn money.

Showing 1-15 of 27