ForumsProgramming ForumHow much money is really in making flash games ?

27 29585
jesse03
jesse03
4 posts
Nomad

I've been dead set latly and have been working very hard on my flash games and was wondering what does the potential revenue look like for creating and distributing flash games ? is it possible to make a living off of them and have you ?

• 27 Replies
Erasmus_Darwin
Erasmus_Darwin
59 posts
Nomad

jjrocks66 wrote:

well i think that the money depends on if the site is free or not cause if you make a game on a free site you wint get anything

This is incorrect. Kongregate is a free site, yet there are examples right above your post about people getting money from them.
jjrocks66
jjrocks66
913 posts
Shepherd

This is incorrect. Kongregate is a free site, yet there are examples right above your post about people getting money from them.[/quote]

well that might be so but if kongregate is a free site then how does it get the money to pay for the games.

Erasmus_Darwin
Erasmus_Darwin
59 posts
Nomad

They get money the same way most free websites get money: By selling advertising.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

AG makes just about all of its profit from the ads on the site.The more people the more ad money.I don't know exactly how this works,but thats pretty much how they all make money and pay for everything,and people have made careers out of making flash games.According to Con Artists about section on his profile he quit hs job to make flash games his career.Here is a quote:

Working full time with ArmorGames now after leaving my previous life as a producer for an advertising agency and loving it.

So I believe someone said that you can't make a living off of flash games.Well I am thinking that is only true if you are not good at it....right?
Jack8black8
Jack8black8
115 posts
Nomad

well i think you would at least get up to a 1000 or you couldent really make a living off flash games.

jjrocks66
jjrocks66
913 posts
Shepherd

oh now i understand. thats why there are penis enlargement adds everywhere.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

oh now i understand. thats why there are penis enlargement adds everywhere.

WTF!?Where did you see those on this site?I have had Ads Blocks with Fire Fox 3 for a while now so I don't know what the ads really look like anymore.

well i think you would at least get up to a 1000 or you couldn't really make a living off flash games.

a $1000 for something made over a couple of months(if not longer or sometimes less if its more of a simple game) is not much of a living.Thats like making $5,000(or less) a year,which is probably the same if not less pay then someone who works at McDonald's.I think you would probably want more then just $1,000 for a single flash game if you want to make a living off of it.Of course this is all just assumptions from me,but still I doubt anyone could comfortably live on $1,000 for all of their flash games.
Gamer4Lyfe
Gamer4Lyfe
105 posts
Nomad

really, they are advertising male enhancement now? My situation is the same as crimson's, so i haven't checked up on the advertisements lately.

Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

a $1000 for something made over a couple of months(if not longer or sometimes less if its more of a simple game) is not much of a living.Thats like making $5,000(or less) a year,which is probably the same if not less pay then someone who works at McDonald's.I think you would probably want more then just $1,000 for a single flash game if you want to make a living off of it.Of course this is all just assumptions from me,but still I doubt anyone could comfortably live on $1,000 for all of their flash games.

Okay, firstly you can make up to $7000 if armorgames sponsors you.

Also, $5000 per year is WAY less than enough to live off of...about $18000 is minimum wage and $22500 is poverty...learn your economics...

$5000/year is about 450/month...that's not enough to cover your bills, let-alone buy food, a house, a car...

Plus you wouldn't make flash games for a living...but $7000 in-pocket's pretty nice, now, isn't it?
Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

Oh, and I'm pretty sure ads give money if they're viewed, not just if they're clicked on...though it's probably more if they're clicked on...

Also, Kongregate has a tip system...people put money into their account, they play a good game, they tip the developer, and the developer get's $$$. AThat's not the ONLY way kongregat pays its developers, but it's one of them (it might explain that guy's $2)

soapaintnice
soapaintnice
17 posts
Nomad

If you want to learn more about what kind of money can be made with flash games you should check out FlashGameSponsorship.com

And if you go to this particular page, it shows how much sponsors paid to advertise in some of your favorite games

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Okay, firstly you can make up to $7000 if armorgames sponsors you.

you say that like I don't know that already.Just as a note I was responding to someone else saying that you would need you would probably get at least $1000 or you wouldn't be able to make a living,and I was arguing that it is doubtful that you could live off of $1000.I guess I should have made it more clear that I meant that if all of your flash games made you $1000 each then you would probably make about $5000(or less) a year if each of them took a couple of months,and while yes I don't know what the annual salary for someone who is paid minimum wage.I did note that it is either about as much if not less then minimum wage.Of course I never talked about how much you could actually get from AG,and I wasn't even trying to talk about that.I'm just going to assume this was all some sort of misunderstanding.

I'm pretty sure ads give money if they're viewed, not just if they're clicked on

I am not quite sure how could you determine the difference between someone viewing a page and clicking on it?Once it loads on there page by most standards it is typically considered a view of the page,and I don't know of any sites where it won't load on to your page if you click on it....do you by any chance?Other then that is there any other definition of a view that I don't know about or am I misinterpreting what you are trying to say?Whatever the case is I'm not sure how else it would work out personally except by keeping in check the amount of times it is clicked as far as the ads go in tracking the amount of people who have viewed the ads.The other system is an interesting idea,but I have barely ever gone on to Kongregate as it really doesn't have too many games that interest me.So I have never seen or heard about that system before.

And if you go to this particular page, it shows how much sponsors paid to advertise in some of your favorite games

That was pretty a pretty interesting....I have really nothing else to say.
Showing 16-27 of 27