ForumsThe TavernIs it bad if you don't feel pain?

149 22998
Qwerty001
Qwerty001
422 posts
Nomad

I don't feel pain... it's weird... I feel people punch me in the shoulders, trying to get me to say 'ow'. Pressure points don't work either... Open flames burn me and hot por

• 149 Replies
magicteen888
magicteen888
83 posts
Shepherd

its good to have pain it shows when your body is in struggle like if you have your hand on a hot burner eventually it will uhhh how to say this well, lets say it will break or burst open. if you had pain you would know to pull it away.

: )

peace out

hellbrokenloos
hellbrokenloos
142 posts
Nomad

no man not at all, i usualy don't feal pain but i think that is becouse i take painkillers and i drink lots of coffee

peninnore
peninnore
173 posts
Nomad

Regardless be it physical pain or emotional pain, it would not be good not to feel it. It is the body's way to protect itself and make us feel human.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Physical pain is at times, a way our bodies tell us there is something wrong. Pain is at times an important symptom of illnesses.

So, pain can help us at time.

Emotional pain is bad and can either strengthen you or break you apart.

Though we can all say that pain is painful and annoying.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Without physical pain, you lose your body's sensors. Pretend if you cannot feel pain, you accidentally place your hand on the burner. Your hand will be useless after this ordeal. Just like many of those who have lost the feeling in their lower body, it begins to rot, because they don't know what is happening down there. While doing rounds in the ICU (intensive care unit), I have seen a paralysis patient with his left leg gone, and his right leg began to uh... "fester". So pain is an important part, because if knew he had a cut on his leg, he could have prevented the infection(s).

Now that emotional pain... is... for the weak imo "man up and face the pain".

Zedralan
Zedralan
98 posts
Nomad

No pain hm... Perhaps you should get a freind to beat you half to death with a spiked mace while people watch and clap and throw $100 bills.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

DDX: Your examples are correct but I'd like to be a little more specific for everybody's benefit. There is (I think) no direct causal link that goes loss of nociception --> necrotic changes, despite their associations in several pathologies. I'll use the example of poorly controlled diabetes to demonstrate why.

Diabetes can cause poor vascular supply and diabetic neuropathy, which may involve loss of sensation. The latter is caused by the former. The former is the eventual cause of necrotic changes, but note that it is actually largely independent of diabetic neuropathy itself, and when it is associated with loss of sensation, that's because dead tissue is, well, dead.

There are a range of syndromes that specifically affect one's pain sensation either primarily (some form of neuropathy) or secondarily (e.g. stroke patient with sensory loss and foot-drop causing said patient to drag their toe until the toe literally drops off), and their presentations most often do follow the examples that DDX has mentioned- traumatic injury exacerbated by lack of treatment due to lack of awareness.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

That disorder is really rare. I doubt any of you have it. You would seriously know if you had it, and others would notice. You would fall and get a cut, and bleed, but not feel pain and be fine with it.

You guys just don't feel pain due to anger, or being in the middle of focusing on something. Adrenaline, and focus make your body more inclined to ignore pain to some degree. Like while playing sports, or getting in a fight, you would not feel the pain until later.

But in response to the questions. Yeah, it would be bad not to feel pain. It would be pretty scary I think. You wouldn't know when and if you were hurting yourself, or if there was something wrong with you.

LuciferSatanis
LuciferSatanis
179 posts
Nomad

But in response to the questions. Yeah, it would be bad not to feel pain. It would be pretty scary I think. You wouldn't know when and if you were hurting yourself, or if there was something wrong with you.

which reminds me, have any of you seen the James Bond movie where the villain could not feel pain, due to the lodging of a bullet in his brain cutting off his "touch" sensors. I would have to say, I was thinking about that when I saw this topic. I do not know if this will be possible though.
FROST101
FROST101
283 posts
Nomad

Thats kinda weird.

Uhlik
Uhlik
13 posts
Nomad

While it sucks, you would make a kick ass soldier, unfortunately basically everyone on armor games is a tall, pasty, white guy. Who, might i add, does not have "Mad Skillz."

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

its not bad it just means you are nerve dead...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

unfortunately basically everyone on armor games is a tall, pasty, white guy. Who, might i add, does not have "Mad Skillz."

wtf???

due to the lodging of a bullet in his brain cutting off his "touch" sensors

A little bit on the farfetched side, but in theory, well let's see. The majority of nociception nerve fibres run through the anterolateral tract meaning that they do have a specific pathway. The problems are:

1) The anterolateral tract also carries temperature fibres so if there's a pain deficit this is likely to be deficient as well.

2) These tracts run bilaterally, so you'd have to either take both out or take out the thalamus, to which they travel before projecting through the cortex (if I recall correctly).

3) Also, getting shot anywhere around the thalamus or the brainstem or the spine for that matter isn't going to just take out the anterolateral tract, it'll probably take out anything else from your light touch, vibration and proprioception (you won't have a clue what your body position is by feel), or your other cranial nerve nuclei or even your centers for swallowing or breathing...

I'm just going to go with "the chances of that happening are virtually nil"!
noobkill360
noobkill360
147 posts
Nomad

for the masochists it is good to feel pain but generally it is not. if you cut your self and you didnt know you could bleed out and die.

sonam
sonam
840 posts
Nomad

yeah it is cause feeling pain is how you know you are alive? if not for pain, how the hell are we supposed to know that and dont say, hot blood, heart beat or smart answer like those

Showing 61-75 of 149