ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38425
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Anywho, here's a piece that was inspired by the current economuc climate.

Entitled: Evil Bankers

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3556/evilbankersresized.jpg

Enjoy.

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Why does that guy have his hands down his pants ? =/

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Why not?

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Anywho, crotch fondling devils aside

It's YEAH picture time!

http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img18/3698/yeahhammersmithresized.th.jpg

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Anywho, crotch fondling devils aside

I never thought I would hear a sentence like that in my life! *tantrum*
Anyway, these are really well-done. The way you shape the characters is amazing, especially!
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I never thought I would hear a sentence like that in my life!

I never thought I would say something like that either.

Anyway, these are really well-done. The way you shape the characters is amazing, especially!

Cheers. I am working on another sketch, and I just realised the pic didn't come out well. I will repost it, as well as my sketch later tonight.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the delay. It's been a while. I am in the mood for sketching devils, so here's another devil oriented piece.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/69/devilsnailresized.jpg

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I should learn a thing or two, I think this might help me further develop the style for that project I keep talking about.

although only on legal walls

They have these? Good move.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I should learn a thing or two,

Well I was planning on doing this a while ago, like some sort of graffiti masterclass where I draw examples of different types of piece and label them. I haven't drawn anything yet, although I'll get round to it, but I could give a quick text based lesson on:

The Anatomy Of A Piece

Most of the techniques come from NYC-the home of graffiti. These have gradually transcended across America and eventually the world, so most of the terms are US sounding.

Key Terms:

Fill
Outline
Border
3D ( Sometimes called 'coin' by old school artists.
Bubble
Overlaps(Mostly transparent, I'll explain later).
Bits
Cuts
Arrows
Shines
Cracks
Sparkles
Connections

I'll now explain, what the terms are, hopw artists use them, and what effects they wish to create, and can be created, through various combinations of these techniques. Try to keep up.

The term 'bits' is key, and is derived from the other colloquial term, 'bits and pieces'. These are important in making bigger and better pieces, it's kind of the step up from the light to heavyweight league in graffiti terms. The visual effect that bits produce is of pieces breaking off of the main form, switching up the visual rhythm. 'Cuts' serve the same purpose but in a more subtle way, and emphasise alignments in the design of the piece. This complements form blends, (sometimes known as ligature in typographical terms) where natural breaks between letters are eliminated. Implied motion through arrow forms can be used, but are often less important than general design dynamics and visual flow. Cracks in the form as though the letters were made of stone, imply weight and history or importance, as though it were an artifact of an earlier civilisation. Lighting in and around pieces implies power generated by the image, and bubble forms surrounding a piece may be rendered to make the piece look like it is cooking up out of the surface. 'Connections' may be extensions from any part of the letterform, or an arbitrary construction felt visually nescessary. Some artists focus on blending letterforms, others have gone the opposite way, pushing segmentation of forms. Some combine the 2 approaches. The effect most writers strive for is a piece that conveys spontaneity and energy, as if the piece burst to existence independently.

That will seem awfully unclear at the minute, as I have yet to post an image to accompany this. I plan to sketch an image(s), encompassing all these terms/techniques, and annotate them. Although, this will take some time, so be patient.

I think this might help me further develop the style for that project I keep talking about.

HGow's that going? Any more progress, if so I'd like to see, so that I could suggest an appropriate style. Cholo is good, from what I have seen of your stuff, so far, but there are any number of other styles that could work.

They have these? Good move

Depends where you're from, or if you're lucky enough to have them in the area. Some councils/boroughs put them up, to dissuade youths from bombing illegally, doesn't help much in that respect, but they are good for proper artists who want to work undisturbed, such as myself.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

but they are good for proper artists who want to work undisturbed, such as myself.

Precisely!

Right now I'm doing a character sheet. Was a request actually but I've always wanted to branch out a bit, so that's what I'm doing...

...think lion in dreads...
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

...think lion in dreads...

Nice, rastafarian lion? Or are the dreads just a fashion choice. Hmm, I now have the urge to draw a rastafarian lion....
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Google image it, it's been done before!

However...my inspiration was slightly different.

Click the character thumbnail on the top right. The character I'm drawing isn't related except for the fact he's also a Capoerista and has a vaguely similar appearance.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Google image it, it's been done before!

I just did. That's hilarious. Apparently the lion features on the official rastafarian flag.

he's also a Capoerista and has a vaguely similar appearance.

I once saw a Capoeria showcase. It's definitely one of my favourite fighting styles. Sounds like a good concept so far.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Anywho, I was coming home on the tube today, and there was some crazy old religious nut case with a megaphone expounding on the evils of drink and promiscuity. I was inspired to draw this.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3677/devilwingsresized.jpg

Enjoy.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

There's this law in Australia:

Any wall art or mural must not depict naked figures including genitals and nipples unless done in a classical Greek style/setting. I have no idea if this still applies or where I got that from...but I spotted something in that above work and may need to get back to you on whether it needs censoring.

...which would suck if it did D:

Showing 61-75 of 152