ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38402
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I couldn't find many photos of South American graff, but anywho, here it is:

Graff From America's Lil Bro

Nice Piece, nice bit.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4153/sothamericaisthebangban.jpg

A nice colab. Some nice use of phantom tips.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1517/southamericaisthebangba.jpg

Some cool font with some cool fill. Not particularly skillful, but I like it.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1517/southamericaisthebangba.jpg

Nice characters. Who doesn't love Speedy Gonzales?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/654/southamericaisthebangbaf.jpg

A religious style mural with a great border.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1517/southamericaisthebangba.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pic has nothing to do with graffiti, but when I was going through the pics on my cam from my South American travelings I came across it and thought it's too funny to miss out.

Entitled [- Lads on tour=messy -]

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1517/southamericaisthebangba.jpg

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

America's little bro has some good graffiti
---------
The last pic. . .I see Heineken, coca-cola, MOAR Heineken, and some various other lagers. XD

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

America's little bro has some good graffiti

Yea it does. Shame I can't find the cam with the other stuff on it. It's really impressive stuff.

The last pic. . .I see Heineken, coca-cola, MOAR Heineken, and some various other lagers. XD

Once I throw vodka into the equation the coca cola makes much more sense.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Yes it does. Anyway, yep, I just noticed some. . .is it Grey Goose brand? Yes, that's what that bottle in the last pic looks like. . . .

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Not sure which bottle you're reffering to. Some of it was just some crappy Argentinian beer, some of it was crappy Argentinian vodka and the rest of it was heineken, Smirnoff and coke (to mix the vodka with).

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Britain's Pacific Warden

I shall withold comment on that because we have somebody from Britain here :P

I spy some product placement!
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I spy some product placement!

Lol, I included the pic, more because I found it funny how messy our hostel room was, rather than to give free advertising to various alcoholic beverages.

I shall withold comment on that because we have somebody from Britain here :P

I guess you may have missed my previous descirption of Australia, however I choose not to reiterate it, as Thor would be an unwelcome addition to my facial features.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ah, I see it now:

How about Britain's best and largest prison

You must have forgotten about Australia's Federation in 1901! The Queen is, at most, our excuse for an extra holiday (which, incidentally, I didn't get because my timetable instructed me to go to class anyway D

I could hardly be offended though. I'm the son of migrants in a country that struggles to make anything of its cultural identity, whether it is as a former convict nation or one of the more recent examples of the devastation of colonialism.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

(The above post was made instead of cheap shots like: "better than all the prisons in Britain anyway" etc.)

...and almost forgot: by product placement I really meant the Nike symbol on those characters in the pieces.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

You must have forgotten about Australia's Federation in 1901!

You know that part of the Aussie flag, the bit in the top left...

I'm the son of migrants in a country that struggles to make anything of its cultural identity, whether it is as a former convict nation or one of the more recent examples of the devastation of colonialism.

On a more serious note, from what I saw, I definitely know what you mean. Us Brits accuse Australia as being the land of the cultureless, and it did seem rather shallow, I preferred South America and Thaliand much more than Australia.

...and almost forgot: by product placement I really meant the Nike symbol on those characters in the pieces.

Ahh, I see, well, that's globalisation for you.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

You know that part of the Aussie flag, the bit in the top left...

Speaking of which, I remember there was at one point discussion of making Australia an independent Republic and also of changing Australia's flag...the former vote failed because nobody could trust then-PM Howard enough to abide by his terms, and ultimately we didn't see much of a point to changing the flag.

What else could you expect from a country without a cultural identity! It just gets blown around by the tides of global influence, meaning presently a mixture of being Americanised and loathing it simultaeneously.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

What else could you expect from a country without a cultural identity! It just gets blown around by the tides of global influence, meaning presently a mixture of being Americanised and loathing it simultaeneously.

Speaking to a couple of mates I know now working in business, they claim Aussies are seen as the back end of the business world. Eg whenever they make deals, due to their geographical location they push up the prices and when the Aussies complain, they say it is the norm now and that they are out of touch. Works every time apparently.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

due to their geographical location they push up the prices and when the Aussies complain, they say it is the norm now and that they are out of touch.

Well, a commodity is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I guess we'd have to wait until China becomes the major economic bastion of the capitalist world before Australia's position could even hope to change...

...but given my impression of China's manufacturing ethos, I'm not sure I want that! One word: Landwind.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Well, a commodity is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I guess we'd have to wait until China becomes the major economic bastion of the capitalist world before Australia's position could even hope to change...

Not to get too off topic, but the recession is looking to change China's position in the world drastically.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Still Landwind, dude! And milk, and pharmaceuticals, and formaldehyde, and occupational safety, and...

Showing 91-105 of 152