ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38420
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

*looks at last two pages*
*infected by offtopicitis*
*drinks some pomegranate juice*
*sad that I could have bronchitis along with my asthma*
Firefly, post some more! (pssssssst. I think that Strop thinks that Australia has a chance to become a superpower!)

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I'll post some more later. I'm going out soon. For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the off topic banter.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

(Australia? A superpower? Long way off if ever, hahaha.)

Just to let you know I finally got some of that lion in dreads dude done.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

(Australia? A superpower? Long way off if ever, hahaha.)

Sounds like something died inside of you when you typed that :`(
---------------
The lion in dreads is awesome.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

More people live in London than the whole of Australia. There just aren't enough economic resources available for Australia to become a superpower.

Nice lion. I've been working on a more tribal style. I'll post it when I'm done.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Sounds like something died inside of you when you typed that :`(

Never, I'm a down-to-earth person; nationalism has to be grounded somewhere and skirting around facts isn't it!

Australia does have a few major resources but they won't yield much either ever or in the near future for a few reasons: coal's going to go out of fashion, there's a lot of resistance to uranium and while there's speculation that Australia could be a hydrogen rich source, circumstances that warrant its mass harvest is a way off yet.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Australia does have a few major resources but they won't yield much either ever or in the near future for a few reasons: coal's going to go out of fashion, there's a lot of resistance to uranium and while there's speculation that Australia could be a hydrogen rich source, circumstances that warrant its mass harvest is a way off yet.

Australia certainly is land rich. It is a very large country. But I was referring to labour. There simply aren't enough workers for Australia to ever realistically compete with the US, Russia, China etc.

O and my lion is coming up shortly. I just have to finish it off.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Yeah, I realised that after I posted xD *headdesk* All I can imagine is foreign interests seeking to import labour into Australia to exploit resources (...which was a feature of a futuristic novel I was writing some time ago...)

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

...which was a feature of a futuristic novel I was writing some time ago...

*depressed by your lack of putting a space between each dot in the ellipse. . . .*
----------
Goodness, you two seem interested in the economics and resources of Australia!
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Huh?

I was unaware that there was any particular rule that required one to put dots between elipses. As far as I'm aware standard notation has always been "..." Or is there some secret protocol privy to only the oberfuhrer of Grammar Nazis? There are a few people who would contend for that position but I'm not one of them.

Goodness, you two seem interested in the economics and resources of Australia!

It's called having broad general knowledge, of which you've just seen a small sample!
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

...posting fail! Where I said "dots between elipses", I meant spaces between ellipses.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

It's called having broad general knowledge, of which you've just seen a small sample!

Speaking of a broad general knowledge, what other things fall into that range? Cheese? The airspeed velocity of an unladen African swallow? Where Waldo actually is?
----------
Actually, yes a person is supposed to, in typing, put a space between each period in an ellipse. . .also, there are supposed to be three dots in a mid-sentence ellipse. . .while ellipses that end sentences have four dots. . . .
--------
Bwahaha! Posting fails are hilarious in the correct context.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Quote me an authority on that and I might consider changing my ellipse practices...

...actually I lie: there's no way I'd be picking up such inefficient syntax. But you might as well quote sources anyway, else you lose credibility.

I'd like to make a distinction between "general knowledge" and "trivia" but at some point the two fields overlap. Trivia, however, is more to do with obscure knowledge, whatever this means.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Lastly (I promise, and I know this is right), ellipses should have spaces between the periods. So, instead of (â&brvbar it should be (. . .).

i originally heard this rule from a grammar textbook at my school about two weeks ago. Also, MS Word automatically puts spaces between ellipse dots through AutoCorrect.
--------
I'm a huge fan of trivia.
Which country is most renowned for producing fontina cheese?
Ummmmmmm. . .Denmark!?
Correct!
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Also, MS Word automatically puts spaces between ellipse dots through AutoCorrect.

I have no idea what version of MS Word you're using, but by default it automatically autoformats them into a condensed version that occupies only one symbol.

On which note, the four dots (for the end of the sentence) I'll accept (it was something that has occured to me previously), but as for your original objection, I've found no evidence substantiating this. Perhaps you are referring to some aspect of manuscript writing? Though I don't recall it there either.
Showing 106-120 of 152