ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGraffiti Art -Tags,Throw-ups,Pieces+Productions

152 38462
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I love graffiti and have done my whole life, so here's a thread about it.

Tagging is the calligraphic writing of one's name or alias. It is generally regarded as the earliest form of graffiti. No outline involved in the leter forms. Generally the fewer the syllables the better. Taggers write their own name/crew name. Some go for clarity, others let the can drip on purpose='drippers'.

Throw-ups consist of single letter outlines, executed at speed, sometimes just a single stroke and filled in with a solitary colour. There are tons of styles out there, most frequent is the 'bubble style' ie round forms.Block lettering from a can or with rollers or 'block busters' are in this category. Images eg faces/figures can be throw ups too.

Pieces are, in a nutshell, more detailed versions of throw ups. Very personal to the writers usually using modified letterforms of some kind. Can be done in 'wildstyle' - staright lettering, as in 70s NYC writers, but are seldom used nowadays.

Productions are pieces or a series of pieces tied together with a common background background. Often written by crews.

Here's an example of all of the above.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8025/graffitiexamplesresizedvq3.jpg

(Footnote: Pieces and Productions are generally coloured in((but not always)), but due to laziness issues they remain in black and white.)

• 152 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Not a bump to the thread so much as a bump to Firefly: I'm still watching this thread!

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Not a bump to the thread so much as a bump to Firefly: I'm still watching this thread!

If you don't have a hardcore fanbase, then what do you have?

Well I have been quite busy with work lately, so I haven't got too much sketching done.... that is until today. I have an eye infection, and as a result cannot fulfill many of my duties, so I finally have some time to get some work done.

The inspiration of this piece was down to 2 things. Strop, your graphic novel featuring animals inspired me to draw animals. I have also been watching seriews 1 of The Wire on dvd and sav the episode where Wallace (a part time dealer) gets shot by his 2 best mates. So this is for Wallace.

This is me, yo, right here.

-Wallace

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2778/tribute2wallaceresized.jpg

Enjoy. Next sketch, the theme will be.... gorillas!
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Me too! This is some pretty impressive stuff here. . .and that is a neat sketch~

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Me too!

Yea, you and Strop are my hardcore.

Next sketch, the theme will be.... gorillas!

Scratch that. I had other ideas. I was planning on gorillas then this other idea popped into my head, so I guess you'll just have to wait and see.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

HOMEBOYS IN THE HOUSE...

...er, no, I'm really not that gangsta, but man! Wallace is totally dope (no pun intended, oh what the hell!)

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

According to a survey on DA, I'm one-third gangsta and one-third nerd. Teh homeboyz call me Radar, homeslice! *cholo*
Yea, I'm dat gangsta.
-----------
I've always appreciate street art. . .I don't get why people always freak out whenever they see a tag or a piece in a subway or something. >.<

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

one-third nerd.

*Two-thirds nerd.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

HOMEBOYS IN THE HOUSE...

Ha, I'm not gangasta, but it was the tv show The Wire that inspired me to draw it, and that is filled with gangstas.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

.er, no, I'm really not that gangsta, but man! Wallace is totally dope (no pun intended, oh what the hell!)

Lol nice, thanks.

Here's a piece I got the inspiration from various episodes of The Wire. I won't bother explaining it, as unless you have watched all 5 series you won't get it, but hey enjoy as alwayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2803/devilxmasresized.jpg

(As you may have been able to ascertain from my last few posts, I freakin luv The Wire yo. Next piece will be a requiem to Bodie, may he rest in peace, then possibly Dee Angelo, haven't fully decided yet.)
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

But the Ghost of Christmas Future comes from Dickens' A Christmas Carol D:

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Well, if you watch the Wire, (which you should), particularly the 1st series, there are lots of references.

Also, Dickens should really be uncensored.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

****ens

I TOLD YOU SOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!ELEVENTEEN!!1!!!11
------------
Yes, it should.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I TOLD YOU SOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!ELEVENTEEN!!1!!!11

Lol just so you guys have a clue of what my drawings are meant to mean, I've decided to provide youtue links to the relevant parts of The Wire, just so you know where I'm coming from.

- Wallace gettin got.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Not so much a bump to the thread but a bump to my loyal fans, I'm working on a pretty complex piece.

All I'm going to say is think LA gangs and love hearts. Should be done quite soon. Relesase date Tbc.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, I checked out that video, and man, you nailed Wallace's look!

Showing 136-150 of 152