ForumsPopular MediaWhat book are you reading now?

606 261857
tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

i am reading A Champions Mind by Pete Sampras

it is great u should read it

what are you AGers reading?

• 606 Replies
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

I've been tuning in to Russian lit more recently; their short stories are simply the best for me. Penguin doesn't translate enough of those beauties.

Have you read Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita? It's one of my favourites.
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
44 posts
Nomad

i just finished a Joe Hill novel, and started on Turn Coat by Jim Butcher.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Have you read Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita? It's one of my favourites.

Ah I haven't yet. I would search for a bootleg internet copy but....:X
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

Ah I haven't yet. I would search for a bootleg internet copy but....:X

There exist these buildings called libraries. You go inside, pay a small fee and you're free to borrow any book you want. Ingenious, isn't it? :P

j/k But you should definitely read it. It's awesome.

Also, I'm done with Sandman and am now reading Martin's A Dance with Dragons in my spare time.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

There exist these buildings called libraries. You go inside, pay a small fee and you're free to borrow any book you want. Ingenious, isn't it? :P

The libraries I go to don't actually stock such books I think :P And by golly, you have to pay over there?
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

And by golly, you have to pay over there?

A yearly fee grants you access to most of the libraries in the city. Notable exceptions include the British Council Library and the National Student Library.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

A yearly fee grants you access to most of the libraries in the city. Notable exceptions include the British Council Library and the National Student Library.

Ah. We just tap our citizen cards and waltz in....
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

Ah. We just tap our citizen cards and waltz in....

Well, well. Aren't you cool?

I'd love it if we had something like that. Personally, I think all knowledge should be free and that includes fiction books.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'd love it if we had something like that. Personally, I think all knowledge should be free and that includes fiction books.

It's a pity how most Singaporeans are utterly barbaric in their reading habits. Or lack of any reading diet aside from manga.
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

It's a pity how most Singaporeans are utterly barbaric in their reading habits. Or lack of any reading diet aside from manga.

Ah, I think most of the world's like that. Not that much of a difference wherever you go.

And now I wish I'd seen a library when I was in Singapore. At least I would've witnessed that citizen card deal you've got going on.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

And now I wish I'd seen a library when I was in Singapore. At least I would've witnessed that citizen card deal you've got going on.

Ah you came here? Our libraries aren't well stocked.

Slight deviation, we use those cards for all sorts of things too...buses, trains, what not.
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

Ah you came here?

Some 4 years ago. Went on vacation with my folks - 10 days Singapore, 15 days Kuala Lumpur.

Our libraries aren't well stocked.

That's too bad. Especially considering that with the advent of e-readers, libraries have really fallen out of favour. And things like this don't help at all.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

That's too bad. Especially considering that with the advent of e-readers, libraries have really fallen out of favour. And things like this don't help at all.

Come to Denmark, the libraries might not be in the best of favours with the government, but being one of the leading countries in library science does mean most libraries still existing are fairly well stocked, even more so when it comes to the libraries in the bigger cities.

One other note is that I actually don't think it is due to e-readers that the libraries have fallen out of favour, especially not since most of the bigger libraries will let you borrow an e-reader or an mp3-player for audio books and so forth, but rather because most of the former readers don't want to wait for the books to get released in the libraries, when they can pay some 40 dollars for a new book and read it right away, not to forget the prestige in having a well stocked book case with all the right books at home. You don't get that when you are a library nerd.

Anyway, back on topic. Sadly not reading fiction right now, I don't have the time or right feeling of mind to read fiction, though I am looking forward to the holidays where I can finish The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown) and perhaps start on the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) properly.
JimmyDimples
JimmyDimples
74 posts
Blacksmith

I'm reading the Book of Jeremiah in the Bible.

And I've got Roald Dahl's Matilda, Going Solo, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bouncing around in my bag.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I am reading the Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke. I am kinda liking it, the story is interesting and its quite well written.

Showing 271-285 of 606