ForumsPopular MediaWhat book are you reading now?

606 260763
tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

i am reading A Champions Mind by Pete Sampras

it is great u should read it

what are you AGers reading?

• 606 Replies
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

The Shadow Dragons, James A. Owen

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/The_Shadow_Dragons,_James_A._Owen_-_cover.jpg

Any series with Tolkien, Charles Williams, and C. S. Lewis as the main characters is obviously good.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

It's been a while since I've read any books.. But I really should pick up on some. I love Sci-Fi, adventure and psychological suspense/thriller.. Though I could pretty much read anything.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a great read considering my genres?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I'm planning on reading The Game Maker's Apprentice by Jacob Habgood and Mark Overmars.
I bought it and it's staring at me, wondering when I'm going to finally open it!

Why can't I decide to do it?
I have a game in mind (it's an Uncharted Waters sequel), the characters are developed, the battle mode is on paper, the story is almost complete, I read about 40 books on the subject and things revolving around it but I'm scared to start! Why?!? :O

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

what would be a great read considering my genres

Philip K. **** sprang to my mind just now, out of endless possibilities. (And mostly because he'd re-entered my mind through some other nooks & crannies An easy read I don't find him, but, give it a try. A book I'm not getting through -- but seems accessible enough, it's just that I keep getting distracted doing other things -- for a while now would be his Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, of course of Blade Runner fame, which is why as a fan I've always felt I should read it. I've his The Man in the High Castle standing promisingly around, but so far ditto. Flicking through it, it's struck me as decidedly more demanding.)
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps

Philip K. ****

Oh, right, another one who will have to go unmentioned due to profanity filtering issues. LOL

Well, you know, the He-who-wrote-the-book-to-Blade-Runner dude This a-one.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

This a-one.

Reminder to self: It doesnie work in hyperlinks, either.

Oh well
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=StormWalker]Any series with Tolkien, Charles Williams, and C. S. Lewis as the main characters is obviously good.[/quote]

It's certainly an interesting concept; will be sure to be reminded of it if I come across it.

Thanks

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I'm reading the Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly, it's quite entertaining.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Dracula by Bram Stoker! It's a classic. And I adore Victorian horror.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Dracula by Bram Stoker!

Now there's one I should indeed still pick up, some day (oh, one of the many many).

Any good, btw? As in I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out a tad um outmodedly tedious.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Any good, btw? As in I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out a tad um outmodedly tedious.

Well, almost all Victorian-Edwardian prose I can think of, short of the novelettes and the short stories will be laborious and onerous if not written by the more talented authors. I find it much better than modern novels, which read like action scripts filled with cliched dialogue to me, in terms of the craftsmanship and actually bringing a character to life , but others might disagree.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Oh, certainly, Nichodemus.

All just depends on the author, indeed, doesn't it. I'd just been wondering if Stoker were all that, in that context. I guess there's one way to find out...

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Dracula by Bram Stoker! It's a classic. And I adore Victorian horror.

Yup, I read it a couple months ago (commented here). You'll notice a few differences between the book and the movies based on the story.
LaurenLouise1507
LaurenLouise1507
88 posts
Nomad

I've just finished reading 'Apollyon' by Jennifer Armentrout. But now I'm reading 'The mortal instruments - City of bones' by Cassandra Clare. I want to read the book before I watch the film.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

You'll notice a few differences between the book and the movies based on the story.

No doubt. You ever seen (the original) Nosferatu? It's supposed to follow the story pretty closely.

Much later, seeing Coppola's Dracula it struck me how it in turn seemed to follow that movie pretty faithfully.

Hands up for all who read Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire? I thought the first title had an interesting take on things, then the further series drifted from my view though.
Showing 391-405 of 606