Forums

ForumsPopular Media

What book are you reading now?

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:10am

AgathaB

AgathaB

154 posts

Ah. We just tap our citizen cards and waltz in....

Well, well. Aren't you cool?

I'd love it if we had something like that. Personally, I think all knowledge should be free and that includes fiction books.

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:11am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,242 posts

Knight

I'd love it if we had something like that. Personally, I think all knowledge should be free and that includes fiction books.

It's a pity how most Singaporeans are utterly barbaric in their reading habits. Or lack of any reading diet aside from manga.

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:14am

AgathaB

AgathaB

154 posts

It's a pity how most Singaporeans are utterly barbaric in their reading habits. Or lack of any reading diet aside from manga.

Ah, I think most of the world's like that. Not that much of a difference wherever you go.

And now I wish I'd seen a library when I was in Singapore. At least I would've witnessed that citizen card deal you've got going on. :)

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:21am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,242 posts

Knight

And now I wish I'd seen a library when I was in Singapore. At least I would've witnessed that citizen card deal you've got going on. :)

Ah you came here? Our libraries aren't well stocked.

Slight deviation, we use those cards for all sorts of things too...buses, trains, what not.

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:26am

AgathaB

AgathaB

154 posts

Ah you came here?

Some 4 years ago. Went on vacation with my folks - 10 days Singapore, 15 days Kuala Lumpur.

Our libraries aren't well stocked.

That's too bad. Especially considering that with the advent of e-readers, libraries have really fallen out of favour. And things like this don't help at all.

Posted Nov 9, '11 at 8:39am

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

That's too bad. Especially considering that with the advent of e-readers, libraries have really fallen out of favour. And things like this don't help at all.

Come to Denmark, the libraries might not be in the best of favours with the government, but being one of the leading countries in library science does mean most libraries still existing are fairly well stocked, even more so when it comes to the libraries in the bigger cities.

One other note is that I actually don't think it is due to e-readers that the libraries have fallen out of favour, especially not since most of the bigger libraries will let you borrow an e-reader or an mp3-player for audio books and so forth, but rather because most of the former readers don't want to wait for the books to get released in the libraries, when they can pay some 40 dollars for a new book and read it right away, not to forget the prestige in having a well stocked book case with all the right books at home. You don't get that when you are a library nerd.

Anyway, back on topic. Sadly not reading fiction right now, I don't have the time or right feeling of mind to read fiction, though I am looking forward to the holidays where I can finish The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown) and perhaps start on the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) properly.

Posted Dec 4, '11 at 9:08am

JimmyDimples

JimmyDimples

76 posts

I'm reading the Book of Jeremiah in the Bible.

And I've got Roald Dahl's Matilda, Going Solo, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bouncing around in my bag.

Posted Dec 4, '11 at 12:48pm

goumas13

goumas13

4,906 posts

I am reading the Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke. I am kinda liking it, the story is interesting and its quite well written.

Posted Dec 4, '11 at 2:44pm

aamer13

aamer13

2,599 posts

percy jackson last olpian by Rick Riodan: THE BEST BOOK EVER WOOHOO!

Posted Dec 4, '11 at 2:55pm

Legion1350

Legion1350

5,649 posts

I'm actually reading two at once: John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, and Stephen King's Night Shift. I love Night Shift, but I hate reading The Grapes of Wrath. It's obscene, and the characters are nothing more than cretins. :(

Reply to What book are you reading now?

You must be logged in to post a reply!