Forums

ForumsPopular Media

What book are you reading now?

Posted Jan 12, '14 at 7:58am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

[quote=StormWalker]Any series with Tolkien, Charles Williams, and C. S. Lewis as the main characters is obviously good.[/quote]

It's certainly an interesting concept; will be sure to be reminded of it if I come across it.

Thanks

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 4:09am

goumas13

goumas13

4,903 posts

I'm reading the Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly, it's quite entertaining.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 5:56am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

Dracula by Bram Stoker! It's a classic. And I adore Victorian horror.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 6:34am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Dracula by Bram Stoker!

Now there's one I should indeed still pick up, some day (oh, one of the many many).

Any good, btw? As in I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out a tad um outmodedly tedious.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 6:56am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,618 posts

Knight

Any good, btw? As in I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out a tad um outmodedly tedious.

Well, almost all Victorian-Edwardian prose I can think of, short of the novelettes and the short stories will be laborious and onerous if not written by the more talented authors. I find it much better than modern novels, which read like action scripts filled with cliched dialogue to me, in terms of the craftsmanship and actually bringing a character to life , but others might disagree.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 9:16am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Oh, certainly, Nichodemus.

All just depends on the author, indeed, doesn't it. I'd just been wondering if Stoker were all that, in that context. I guess there's one way to find out...

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 11:06am

SSTG

SSTG

12,470 posts

Knight

Dracula by Bram Stoker! It's a classic. And I adore Victorian horror.

Yup, I read it a couple months ago (commented here). You'll notice a few differences between the book and the movies based on the story.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 2:14pm

LaurenLouise1507

LaurenLouise1507

86 posts

I've just finished reading 'Apollyon' by Jennifer Armentrout. But now I'm reading 'The mortal instruments - City of bones' by Cassandra Clare. I want to read the book before I watch the film.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 6:05pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

You'll notice a few differences between the book and the movies based on the story.

No doubt. You ever seen (the original) Nosferatu? It's supposed to follow the story pretty closely.

Much later, seeing Coppola's Dracula it struck me how it in turn seemed to follow that movie pretty faithfully.

Hands up for all who read Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire? I thought the first title had an interesting take on things, then the further series drifted from my view though.

Posted Jan 14, '14 at 10:46pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

Just finished Shogun. A great epic by James Clavell.

Another great classic that I've read recently was The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. If you have any interest in the Civil War, this is a must read.

Reply to What book are you reading now?

You must be logged in to post a reply!