sepubaxis
31 posts
Nomad

wtf?

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I remember reading about that. Can you find an article and post the body/link here? It'd add way more to the discussion.

Niceguy878
Niceguy878
220 posts
Nomad

sorry if i wasn't clear enough. in the last few days Obamas old priest said on TV during church or something that america is terrible and some other things i can't post.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Dug it up.

ARTICLE IS BELOW
By BRIAN ROSS and REHAB EL-BURI
March 13, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years at the Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's south side, has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism."

In a campaign appearance earlier this month, Sen. Obama said, "I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial." He said Rev. Wright "is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with," telling a Jewish group that everyone has someone like that in their family.

Rev. Wright married Obama and his wife Michelle, baptized their two daughters and is credited by Obama for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

In addition to damning America, he told his congregation on the Sunday after Sept. 11, 2001 that the United States had brought on al Qaeda's attacks because of its own terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.

Sen. Obama told the New York Times he was not at the church on the day of Rev. Wright's 9/11 sermon. "The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification," Obama said in a recent interview. "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative," Obama told the paper.

Rev. Wright, who announced his retirement last month, has built a large and loyal following at his church with his mesmerizing sermons, mixing traditional spiritual content and his views on contemporary issues.

"I wouldn't call it radical. I call it being black in America," said one congregation member outside the church last Sunday.

"He has impacted the life of Barack Obama so much so that he wants to portray that feeling he got from Rev. Wright onto the country because we all need something positive," said another member of the congregation.

Rev. Wright, who declined to be interviewed by ABC News, is considered one of the country's 10 most influential black pastors, according to members of the Obama campaign.

Obama has praised at least one aspect of Rev. Wright's approach, referring to his "social gospel" and his focus on Africa, "and I agree with him on that."

Sen. Obama declined to comment on Rev. Wright's denunciations of the United States, but a campaign religious adviser, Shaun Casey, appearing on "Good Morning America" Thursday, said Obama "had repudiated" those comments.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees. But now that he is retired, that doesn't detract from Sen. Obama's affection for Rev. Wright or his appreciation for the good works he has done."
---------------------
age=1">Original article

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

The man is -- Partly Right. Morally, America would be in the top 0's for goodness. The countries ratified by Greed, Wanting Power, Cash, Influence, and Non-Cultural and Un guided lives that are hurting this country. And now a days the countries going in an even more awful turn as the Governments having a bit of.. Issues, you could say. Either way, Its is pretty wrong for the Pastor to do so. Yet -- I hope that Senater Barack Obama isn't hurt by it, which he shhouldn't, Since his mentor may hate America now.. but Obama's proved he doesn't. I say, All it does is show he's a bit more Independent then people would acctually consider him to be.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I still won't vote for him, this doesn't change my opinion of him at all.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

why not?

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Because he's WAY too liberal for me. In my opinion, democrats are generally the young, uneducated, and oppressed. People who have hope, in short. Republicans are generally realists who see the world for what it is, and understand that we have to worry about the here and now. Both types of people are necessary, but I choose realism.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Megamickel, you seem to always speak about people being ignorant and the above post was pretty naive of you. Most college students and recent graduates are liberal. That is what education will do to you.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

He's not too Liberal, to be honest. His ACTIONS have been Liberal, but at times when the government is as it is.. Liberalism goes into a pretty far off subject. Honestly, Realism as a republican is mainly focused on money and wealthyer people. If young people go on the democratic side 1) they may be a more closer to republicans than you think, and 2)If democratz didn't tihnk a bout the world and worry about it here an now, they wouldn't exist. In short, he's just cutting taxes for the people that can't pay them. And stopping a gulf war thats wasting america's revenue. What a fun way to run a government. McCain is doing the same thing, putting him and his "I'm cuttin spending!" line at an end. Or, like the Daddy Bush who made millions of dollars with his war. All I'm saying is, theres a twinge of Liberalism that this country lacks, a complete capitolist society its a bit murderous. As we all have seen, Lower class citizens suffer while the rich get richer.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Oh, sorry, went off topic, dun kil meh >.<

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Young people are recent graduates. But most people I know who are in their 30s-40s (not even just my family, either) tend to be more conservative, because they've realized that hope is fuckin' retarded and doesn't solve the problems of the real world. Welfare sucks because all it does is cause people to be dependent. Free health care would still have a divide, because the rich people would be able to get BETTER health care - which I totally agree with! If you have more money, you deserve more stuff! I'm a poor, working-class American, but I still hate the concept of communism. You apparently don't like capitalism, but I love it. Capitalism is the fuel that drives some of the best technological advances. Would Ford have worked so hard on his Model T and his assembly line if there were no profit incentive? No. Would we have made many of the advances we have in medical technology? No, pharmaceutical companies are generally in it for the money. Hell, could we even be here without greedy people? No! Armor Games tries to make money through us via ads, and the companies who publish ads are greedy and trying to get us to go to their web pages. See, it's all about profit - without that, we couldn't be here. Funny coming from a fascist? But it's true. Anyone can get rich if they get a good idea and market it right. When Starbucks started, did anyone think it would catch on? I doubt it. But look at them now, you can't throw a pebble without bouncing it off three of 'em >_<

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Whoa, Whoa. Backwards, FORD would have worked on Mr. T because their would be an incentive. But honestly, Capitolism at its extent would end up an economy where the rich would survive and the poor wouldn't. Mabye so that a Poor Working-Class American can get buy and see the richer things. But do you belive that a man that doesn't make as much money is entitled to nothing? Because of the way he was born? Maybe if he has some alchoholic theft life I'd say give him a hell of a time but Jeez, I'm not syaing put it at the concept of Communism. But don't let it fall into the concept of GREED! When Starbucks started, it had to hire poor people, ones needing jobs hoping to be well fed by the company that can't get hid by a pebble. If all of that crumbles, then profit incentive can't drive. Pharmaceutical companies would keep going, with less greed drive. So then the littler people of America could make it through. Now, to be honest, I've seen Poverty with my own eyes in lots of places, America is the one place where its starting. I hope it doesn't. Welfare is retarded, but people that become dependent don't deserve it. Kinda why its welfare, its to help the lives of those who need it. Not of those who suck off of it. and Hope always helps, buddy, you just have to back it up with actios. Everything runs on money, not on greed. Armor games does do the Via Ad thing, so companies don't put you at your web pages to suck your MONEY! Just to keep the natural flow of market running around. No one forces a man to buy something. But something a man needs, desperateley, something that will help him survive costs so much he can't afford it? And a company making an above Research, Profit, Hiring, and Making incentive SHOULD be able to cut the price down because they can. Won't kill the buisness, won't kill the growth of the company. All it will do is keep it a penny slower. Which the world needs if people who use technological advances are to survive. I'm not saying kill the idea of it, but everything has to be ocntrolled. Or.. All in all.. Capitalism is an extent which favors the richest, and slowly by slowly makes its mark at other places. Greedy leaders in the past such have kings have been downfall to communities. Nowadays, the presedent gets 50Grand a year [I think, kinda forgot my history textbook] and Corporate America Drives it. But with Capitalism allowing jobs to be shipped to China nothing good will happen to America Economically. And Greedy idiots won't down it and help the world KNOWING that they'll keep up their advances, money, influence and also keep things up. But no, another 50 10,000 Dollar Bills is too much to giant corporations running billions of dollars out.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^I think you're seeing me as some rich kid from a rich family. I'm really, REALLY not. We live in a small, 3-bedroom house with 5 people, living off of my parents' wages from paycheck to paycheck. We were a little better before my dad lost his old job, but that wasn't his fault. Regardless, I'll work my way up and get rich, I'll take care of my family, and I'll create jobs for poorer people in the process. You think rich people work at Starbucks? They don't pay very well, I think it's like $7.00 an hour in most places. Maybe a little higher if you're in a place with a high cost of living, but not enough. I respect someone who creates a large corporation or invents some new product that needs to be built, as it opens jobs and opportunities to people instead of just another handout.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I heard what you said. I know that they don't have cash. But a Large Corporation that creates Jobs an Oppurunities for people may be all well. But the problem with that is if those companies all want cash and don't care about much else, they'll fly to Asia, leaving the Jobs. All we'll get is expensive crap in the market. Now, starbucks is Domestic, so if I showed you the Domestic side of it, in truth 1) With the way the Economys going and the way the country collects taxes all has a big impact on the market. And such a Market needs some Governmental movement to keep it running. Something that Lobbyists and whatnot are keeping out of control. Someone helping the world is AWESOME. But working your way up and getting rich and having a family is tough, the world and your sweet country have to help you on with the job. The Big Shceme is, That [I think in the Bible, too, I'm not Christian] but somewhere it talkes about not to be Greedy. Only because it ruins other peoples lives. And maybe yours, too. If your rich or not. Someone that creates a Large corporation inventing something that took millions to be built has to be repaid -- Yet.. Repaid at such a Financial Cost that some people needing health care and what not can't receive it? There should be some leeway in the way corporations work instead of just Deeds and Stocks. Yet its not running that way. So maybe Capitalism drives the worlds advances, but it should be controlled so that when its advanced people aren't left behind. After 2009 America is going HD TV's. The Price of them is also falling. If the Economy is working as it is now, giving money for the rich and sucking away the value of our dollar, market, and need. Things will be harder to get. Specially for someone making 7 an hour.

Showing 1-15 of 27