ForumsProgramming ForumHow do you get started making flash games

9 5437
Toll101
Toll101
103 posts
Nomad

Can someone please tell me how to make flashgames if some one can please tell me a good download to make it thats free and that mainly for beginners.

• 9 Replies
Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

In this thread there is a lot of helpful information to get you started on making games. I hope this helps ya. How To Make Games.

Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

One thing that I've been learning in school is Java (which is a derivative of Flash). You don't need anything to make it except a JDK compiler and notepad. It's not the most efficient way of doing things, but it's good for learning the rules of the games

sanny
sanny
124 posts
Nomad

I agree with Fyrefox.

Taylan
Taylan
53 posts
Nomad

From my knowledge, Adobe Flash, which is used to draw stuff and also uses the scripting language (to code stuff you know) Action Script, is what almost all proffessional flash game developers use.
With that single program you can make full games.

So you first download Adobe Flash CS4.

You will first install the 30 day trial version, but if you are serious with making flash games, you may turn the installation into a full one by... umm... paying those 700$ maybe? Of course, what else? You didnt thought of getting it illegally did you?

Well after that, you watch/read this tutorial i will link you to below, which i think was for an older version of Adobe Flash BUT still applies %99 i guess.
I started with it and didnt have a single problem with any kind of version change of Adobe Flash.
So heres the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/326090

Warning: While version changes of Adobe Flash dont matter all that much, version changes of ActionScript are HUGE. It is the scripting language (coding you know) used by Adobe Flash. And as you know a single slightest difference in the code can make the whole project crash.

Later you got to learn the coding, Action Script (aka AS).
AS 3.0 aka AS3 is the newest version. It is drastically different than AS2 so be very careful, if you find a tutorial, be sure it is for AS3 first.

I have a hard time finding good AS3 tutorials myself. Im new to this stuff too anyway.
So sorry but this is.

Taylan
Taylan
53 posts
Nomad

ATTENTION HERE

The link i gave in the upper post doesnt work because of this stupid bug caused in these forums...

Heres the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/326090

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Taylan that tutorial from what I saw was not for the AS3,but in fact the basics for flash in its total,and the problem with it being for flash 8,is that a lot has changed,and a lot more options are available in flash CS4,such as a whole new way to motion tween for instance.Now of course these things can be taught through other videos,like the ones supplied with the product on Adobes site,but my point is that it does matter when there are changes to Adobe Flash.

I have yet to find any decent resources for beginners of ActionScript 3,that are taught by a visual perspective(such as a full video guide, or flash guide for beginners where it actually explains what each part of the code does in a way that is understandable)

Taylan
Taylan
53 posts
Nomad

Well i guess you are right.

But still, nothing in that tutorial is totally incorrect is it?

If you would, as an example, watch a tutorial for AS2 thinking its for AS3 (if you never used either one, you wont realize)... then thats bad. =P

If there is a really good tutorial thats for newer versions of Flash, then i would be interested in them myself too, but otherwise this seems to be still the best if you open up Adobe Flash and dont know what the hell any of what you see is supposed to be.

It will at least teach you the basic concept of the timeline, making animations (frame by frame, motion tween, shape tween) etc. even though there might be now different ways to do those than how exactly the tutorial shows it.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

But still, nothing in that tutorial is totally incorrect is it?

well no none of it is incorrect,but there is still more stuff to be learned.The thing is that while all of those option in there should still be in the newest version(old motion tweens are called classic tweens now) they added in some things people may want to learn about to make their whole life easier with the newest versions or flash.

Also if you want some tutorials for Flash CS4,this guy made some great vids on youtube in full HD quality that helped me out a ton when I began animating.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FAA733AD9562657C[/url

Thats basically a link to a playlist called Flash CS4 Fundamentals.It is suggested you start from the top vid and go down from there.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK I noticed right when I pressed submit that I had missed a bracket to let me try this again...

Flash CS4 Fundamentals

If that doesn't work(which it should) then I will be very annoyed.

Showing 1-9 of 9