ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNicho's Writing Thread [Archives on Pg 47]

512 270713
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Since thisnotalt( pretty sure I got the spelling wrong) suggested it, I think I will create a thread just to post my stories. Ok now to find them... *Digs deep into the AMW Section to find his stories*

• 512 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I've been studying up on the Black Death these few days, history test, and I got inspired to warp what people would think is an innocent nursery rhyme. Ring Around the Rosies. Sounds familiar?

Well, did some research...found out that it really was partially inspired by the bubonic plague of the 1300s and Great Plague that hit London in the 1600s.

Rosies refer to the rose-coloured scars and rash in the shape of a ring on the skin of plague-victims. The line 'Ashes, Ashes' refers to the cremation of corpses. And posies, refers to pockets and pouches filled with sweet-smelling herbs, since it was thought the Black Death was spread by bad smell. Lastly, 'A-tishoo,A-tishoo' refers to violent sneezing, a symptom of the plague.

The poem is partially done, no inspiration or will to complete it. But I will. So for now, just enjoy it. Wait...enjoy? That sounds ironic....

Ring Around the Rosies

Ring around the rosy
A pocketful of posies
'Ashes, Ashes'
We all fall down!

Black angel in the house,
Den of the flea and louse.
Corpse on a bare-thread cloth,
Spirit in flames spirit aloft.

Ring-a-Ring o'Rosies
A Pocket full of Posies
'A-tishoo! A-tishoo!'
We all fall Down!

Gravediggers in the mud,
Soaked ankles deep in blood.
Raise the soil for the bones,
Till death strikes you alone.

Ring around the rosy
A pocketful of posies
'Ashes, Ashes'
We all fall down!

Leering holes on skulls,
Gold teeth grow dull.
Those pale bloodless faces,
Stare eerily like razors.

Ring-a-Ring o'Rosies
A Pocket full of Posies
'A-tishoo! A-tishoo!'
We all fall Down!

Red cross on those doors,
A crawling figure on the floors.
Dance with the bony fiddlers,
And fill the works of chroniclers.

Ring around the rosy
A pocketful of posies
'Ashes, Ashes'
We all fall down......

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

That's very nice, I too just only recently found out that innocent nursery rhyme, had a deep dark secret. Props to you.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Hopefully I can muster enough will and strength to complete the damn thing today....I'm bored and depressed, so perhaps yes.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Wow, didnt know that about it. That nursery rhyme was my favorite in preschool... scary. It was good, but some of the lines didnt flow quite that well if you were trying to stay in the same meter as the original stanza.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Wow, didnt know that about it. That nursery rhyme was my favorite in preschool... scary. It was good, but some of the lines didnt flow quite that well if you were trying to stay in the same meter as the original stanza.

yep. It dosen't flow, something I'm stuck with.

But well the video I watched ended with the rhyme in high-pitch, almost choir like, with a picture of Black-Death. It certainly freaked me out.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

lol. It kinda reminds me of that picture with all the skeletons and there attackink everyone and putting them in coffins, and one skeleton is riding a skeleton horse and he's attacking the king...

zlith
zlith
1,252 posts
Nomad

That was great. *clap clap clap* I knew that it was a reference the the plague, but that made it 10 times more creepy.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

lol. It kinda reminds me of that picture with all the skeletons and there attackink everyone and putting them in coffins, and one skeleton is riding a skeleton horse and he's attacking the king...

I love medieval drawings...especially dancing skeletons.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Gosh...I didn't know that the castle was real.

Berry Pomeroy Castle

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

Wow! That's kinda awesome. Writing about something fake and finding out it's real.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Writing about something fake and finding out it's real.

Actually, the name was from a Horrible History book, though knowing them, the information could have been faked.
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

Do you not like history? Or was the book just horribly based and written. I like History. Mainly War World 2 History. And I also love Geography.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Do you not like history? Or was the book just horribly based and written. I like History. Mainly War World 2 History. And I also love Geography.

i do. It's a series called Horrible History. Not taht history is awful in any way.
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

It's a series called Horrible History.

LOL! That's kinda awesome. But I guess it is about the horrible things in history I assume.

Not taht history is awful in any way.

History can't be awful. I mean, it's HISTORY!!!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

GA, Berry Pomeroy Castle and Bagpiper did have subtle roots from Horrible History. Though I revamped them and added my own plots/characters/emotions a hell lot.

Just to state before copyright issues.

Showing 181-195 of 512