ForumsWEPRDoes anyone not believe in God?

69 10391
valkyrie1119
valkyrie1119
1,720 posts
Nomad

I mean this in the most unoffensive way possible. while i will speak my mind, I do have utmost respect for anyone and everyone and their beliefs and religion, and I do not mean to upset you in any way possible.
However, I will say that I do not believe in god or really any religion at that. I do not believe that God or a superior entity created all things. I do not believe that God answers prayers to those who worship them. If you think about it, one average and normal person may be praying somewhere in the United States in the hopes that God will give do them a service in some form or another and that it gets done somehow. However, what about the hundreds of young children in the Middle East who happen to be starving at that same moment? Aren't they praying too? So why is it that one average worshipper is done their service and hundreds more innocent and far humbler children starve to death because they were not done theirs? I simply cannot see the logic in this outcome, which happens everyday. Could it be that God plays favorites? I shudder at that thought. What happened to we're all created equal? Or maybe were not...

Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect of any kind towards anybody of any religion.

• 69 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

A superior being or something must have created everything, because otherwise nothing would exist.

Not necessarily. If God supposedly has no beginning and no end, then why can't the same be said of the primeval atom? Arguments like that one are superficial, because until we know all possibilities and everything about them, we won't be able to definitively say anything.
------------
He is a jealous God,

If God was perfect, God wouldn't be jealous.
--------------------
if you worship something other than him, you will feel consequences

Saying stuff like that is hypocritical and blasphemic. Not only would that mean that God would not be infinitely loving, but it would mean that a human could possibly have more forgiveness than God.
------------------
It says in the Bible that all things work together for good.

Verify the Bible as a reliable source and I will believe you.
--------------------
Unfortunately, sin has plagued Earth

God could erase all of that, but he doesn't. He could be infinitely forgiving and erase all sin, but he doesn't.
---------------------
God is more logical than anything man could create.

I lold at the irony. If you are speaking of the Christian God, then that is a fallacy because man created the concept of the Christian God.
---------------------
I think that there is something greater than us, but not necessarily some sort of "God" as commonly thought of. There most likely is some sort of primeval, over-arching influence of some sort, but not necessarily something as anthropomorphic as Yahweh.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Verify the Bible as a reliable source and I will believe you

By that logic people could make arguments that history books are false.The Bible is a compilation of tons of different documents found and then put together into a single piece of literature(at least the last time I checked) So while you can argue that the Bible is not true,there really is no real proof that it is not true,and as a note I have yet to find any theories or evidence taught in schools that have truly done so yet.

God could erase all of that, but he doesn't. He could be infinitely forgiving and erase all sin, but he doesn't.

This is true,but instead he chose to punish us for creating Sin,with things like War, for women painful child birth,and tons of other things. He could erase Sin,but this would require him to erase freedom of will.As long as humans have the right to make their own decisions it seems like there will always be sin.

I lold at the irony. If you are speaking of the Christian God, then that is a fallacy because man created the concept of the Christian God.

If you are referring to Jesus,then by Christian belief he was a God in Human Form.If you mean anyone else then I am sorry,but I am not sure how much you truly know about the history of the Christian religion.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I know quite a bit about Christianity. What I'm saying is that the Christian take on God was invented by man. Not God. The concept of Jesus being God in human form was invented by man.
-------------
I don't think that the history books of today are entirely accurate; but a good deal of the info in history books is from primary sources, whereas the texts in the Bible are old enough, and there was enough intervention from the Roman Empire, that the Bible w have today probably is quite different from the original Christian religion. The Bible needs to be verified as a reliable source; or else we'll never know if its true or not.
--------------
But God is supposedly ALL-POWERFUL. An ALL-POWERFUL being could make it so that there could be no sin without limiting free will because of his all-powerfulness.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

But God is supposedly ALL-POWERFUL. An ALL-POWERFUL being could make it so that there could be no sin without limiting free will because of his all-powerfulness.

well yes,but while I may not know his true intentions,that would be fairly pointless.Free will means they can turn out to be any sort of way.In reality that is only Semi-Free will as they would only be able to do things that are good not sinful.I don't think this was Gods intention.

but a good deal of the info in history books is from primary sources

like what? World History 1 could definitely not use Primary Sources,because of how long ago some of the things within it is happened.They use artifacts,just like how the Bible was created through documents,which in a way are a form of artifacts.

The concept of Jesus being God in human form was invented by man.

How so,was it not Jesus who claimed himself to be God in Human form,while having the mind of a God,not that of a Human?
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

well yes,but while I may not know his true intentions,that would be fairly pointless.Free will means they can turn out to be any sort of way.In reality that is only Semi-Free will as they would only be able to do things that are good not sinful.I don't think this was Gods intention.

. . .Yet as an all-powerful being, our logic wouldn't apply. He could make that statement false and do it anyway, but still have us have complete free will. Anything means ANYTHING.
-----------------
like what? World History 1 could definitely not use Primary Sources,because of how long ago some of the things within it is happened.They use artifacts,just like how the Bible was created through documents,which in a way are a form of artifacts.

What I meant was for more recent history, sorry I didn't mention that. But, at the same time, the artifacts had verification from writers like Herodotus. Take the Scythians for example. All we had were writings, which we thought were untrue. But, then we found some kurgans, and found Herodotus to be correct. I'm saying that we need something besides just documents to verify the Bible. Any sort of history will always involve some assumptions and shooting in the dark, but we should try to keep that at an absolute minimum. And the amount of assumptions and shooting in the dark for the Bible is still too high for us to be sure enough.
--------------
How so,was it not Jesus who claimed himself to be God in Human form,while having the mind of a God,not that of a Human

Crap. This is one of the places where any sensible argument stops. We don't know if Jesus had the mind of God or not; we don't know if Jesus was God. Also, if we were able to comprehend the teachings of Jesus and his thoughts, then his mind could not be God's, because something like the mind of an omniscient being is something we probably couldn't come close to understanding.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Also, if we were able to comprehend the teachings of Jesus and his thoughts, then his mind could not be God's

How would you know this for sure? I mean I remember at one time Jesus was asked why he spoke in parables and he answered that it was so people would be able to understand,because his thoughts are not the same as theirs.Do you not think that through the same power that you spoke of to be able to make the idea of sin false if he wanted to,to allow people to be able to understand what he is trying to tell them?
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

How would you know this for sure? I mean I remember at one time Jesus was asked why he spoke in parables and he answered that it was so people would be able to understand,because his thoughts are not the same as theirs.Do you not think that through the same power that you spoke of to be able to make the idea of sin false if he wanted to,to allow people to be able to understand what he is trying to tell them?

True on that one. I guess you're right, but this is really all speculation.
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

What ecatly do you mean by "sin" do you mean something that is 'wrong' or 'evil' or something that will send you to hell?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

What exactly do you mean by "sin" do you mean something that is 'wrong' or 'evil' or something that will send you to hell?

Something that goes against the wishes of God is my definition of Sin.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Something that goes against the wishes of God is my definition of Sin.

Which is too vague, because we don't know what God's wishes are.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Which is too vague, because we don't know what God's wishes are.

Actually, they are outlined pretty well.

My definition of sin: An act of evil.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Actually, they are outlined pretty well.

Evidenceplz?
-------------
The Latin definition of sin is "without" or "to miss."
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

Something that goes against the wishes of God is my definition of Sin

If it is gods wish for us to have free will sin. When we sin we are using free will which is what god wishs.

My definition of sin: An act of evil.

How do you know that something is evil. One could argue that if god is everything then everything is god. And if everything is god everything. Any act would be part of god and and act of evil would be part of god. Would that mean that god is evil. Or would that mean that if god is everything that any atc is part of god and there for everything or good and evil?

(This is fun! )
valkyrie1119
valkyrie1119
1,720 posts
Nomad

If God existed, he would have to be a cockroach. Its simple; God would take the shape of the most superior being on the planet and that superior being is a cockroach. You could drop an atomic bomb on one and it would still be alive. To be able to survive such a thing could be considered "Godlike." But the again, God would be cruel, because he and his friends as well as his termite counterparts are the reasons we have blue tents around our house and poisonous gases circulated throughout it. How ironic... Maybe God decides to chew away at the foundation of someone's house every time they commit a sin. Funny thing is, I have committed many sins. I've have used heavy amounts of profanity in the past (not on AG,) I chucked rocks at cars and telephone wires in first grade, and I even put a postt it note on the back of my science teacher's shirt that said kick me (that was the best April Fools prank ever!) But even after all that, I have never had a tent around my house. Don't you just love irony...

caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

If God existed, he would have to be a cockroach. Its simple; God would take the shape of the most superior being on the planet and that superior being is a cockroach. You could drop an atomic bomb on one and it would still be alive.

1st off a cockroach cant survive an atomic bomb it would vaporized like everything else. It can only survive the radiation that is left over.

Second why would god need to take to form of the most superior being? If god was all powerful he could do anything he wants, right? But of course if he is everything how could he be confined in one being?
It seems infinity defies all logic
Showing 31-45 of 69