ForumsWEPROverweight and Underactive

34 8410
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

This is to bring up the issue of the rise of obesity, and cases of overweight people in general. I am curious as to what you think about it and what you attribute it to. Are we not active enough? Do we eat unhealthily? Is it genetic? Lack of education on the topic?

I just read an article that claims that eating lots of fatty foods can cause disruptions in your genes, causing you to be fatter.

Personally, I think it is a lack of proper nutrition and physical fitness. This is easier for some people to stick to, and harder for some. But I think it is a lot easier to make healthier decisions for yourself when you are educated on nutrition and fitness.

• 34 Replies
DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Bad diet/habits have more to do with it than anything else. People simply aren't designed to eat 3 square meals a day, and we have become a sedentary society.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Well, Doctorish-Wise some peoples fats, that are whiter in color are WAY easier to burn, on the other hand -- the darker and more yellowish thickish fat is harder to burn. But both can be accomplished, The problem with Obeisity is the rise of things such as video-Games, TV, and the fact that you can find sugar lying around anywhere in your house. Thankfully, My mom cared about me from the beggining. They say obeisity happens from the starts, because usually, kids without knowing eat what they want, when they want, and they're mommy [If she's not really smartikal on the topic] gives it to them.

So, Theres no scientific fact yet [I think] that it changes into your genes giving you an attract to fat/ different fat.

I think, that as new things to keep you busy on a screen and stuff come out [Which are amazing, I use them :P] Kids shouldn't leave sports behind, and thats becoming a problem. Now, for the elders who've taken the fatty course, I just say they need to get active. They're probably not buff and probably can't become a pro if they try out a sport, but they can get better over time. Treadmill's help.

I mean, you can only blame the people and the fact that people don't seem to like their salads here. :S Either that, or physical fitness is on a low. Like.. Killer low.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Salads aren't actually particularly healthy, when people eat them they tend to put lots of fattening dressing on it. And then they wonder why it doesn't make them thinner...

Personally, I didn't know much about nutrition, until I started taking food science classes in college. Or what I knew, wasn't actually accurate.

It is hard to tell how bad the 'epidemic' is for me though. I live in a very active community, where the number of bikes outweighs the number of people more than 2-fold. So generally, people here are very active, and therefor pretty fit. But then I hear stories about Texas cities with obesity on the rise, and watch Supersize Me, and learn about people who eat at fast food restaurants EVERY DAY!

I think it also has something to do with family values. When I was growing up, we always had dinner together at home. We rarely went out to restaurants, and hardly ever fast food. Eating a healthy balanced meal at home, and going to Burger King are two completely different things. And its sad, but I don't think as many families have dinner together like they used to. And I think, that it is probably another factor.

jtay23
jtay23
41 posts
Nomad

it about your metabolism if you have a efficient metabolism or fast a many refer it as then you can eat what ever you what and your some what active like my friend he can eat a whole cake and pizza in one sitting but he won't gain a pound he got 6 pack and he very healthy
I am overweight i try not to eat alot b/c i have a inefficient metabolism or slow and I'm really active i snowboard and try to work out during the winter and the summer all i do is swim and ride my bike. I know i should be skinner. the one funny thing about me is that one week i friend let me borrow his Xbox 360 and all i did was play that every day a the beginning of the week i weighted myself it was 186 by the end of the week i was 180 i lossed 6 lbs play video games and not eating all i ate was dinner with my family

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

How efficiently your metabolism works can also have to do with your thyroid. Whether or not it is over or under active. I have had friends with both. Some would eat a lot, and would never gain weight. Others tried to be as healthy as they could and they still wouldn't lose weight. So sometimes it has more to do with it than metabolism. There could be a deeper reason.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I dunno, my aunt had hyperactive thyroid and she was skinny as hell, then they fixed it and she went from I to O.
I think I drew the wrong cards genetically, but still, the reason I'm overweight is because I don't exercise and I DEFINITELY don't eat healthy. Personal testimonial rite heer - a diet of nothing but Monster and Funions + 24/7 gaming -> extreme obesity!
Actually it's not so extreme in my case, but I could stand to lose... a lot.

WizardInBlack
WizardInBlack
486 posts
Nomad

Haha.. I hear that Mickel, I could shed a few lbs my self.

ngfan14
ngfan14
875 posts
Shepherd

I agree. I am not overweight myself (114 lbs.) but I think most people eat too much junk food, watch too much tv, are inactive, and sit at the computer all day. This ends up making a lot of people overweight. I think eating less junk food and participating in sports can help people lose weight or keep from being overweight. I am in track and eat very little junk food to stay healthy and I think more people should start to get active and lose weight because it can help them live longer, happier lives.

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

I think most really overweight people don't exercise or eat healthy, just like their families most of the time I think it's bad habits that deveolope in families not always but a lot

Mr_Hobo_2100
Mr_Hobo_2100
153 posts
Nomad

Most people spend 75% of there time inactive(aka sleeping, school, desk work, computer) and thus as a result they eat fast food and junk. If they really wanted to lose weight they could buy real food thats healthy and work out. There is a lot of info about that though you could easily get a good diet plan online

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Personally, I don't eat healthy all the time, or exercise constantly. Sure I get exercise, I ride my bike every day, but it isn't like I exactly went to the gym as much as I should have this quarter. I don't want to be too hard on myself about it, because I enjoy food too much. I try to eat as healthy as I can, but I set a mark for myself. If I get to a certain weight, its dieting and the gym. If I want to stay away from that strict of a regimen, then being generally healthy and being active is a good option.

Finals week doesn't count though. Time to go make chocolate chip cookie pies!! *runs to the kitchen*

Mr_Hobo_2100
Mr_Hobo_2100
153 posts
Nomad

I go to the gym 5 nights a week. I burn 1500-3000 calories a day depending on what i do and how long i work out. I only eat about 1800 calories and its a very low fat diet

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

1800 does not seem like enough... you should be eating more than that, especially if you are burning that many calories. Are you trying to lose weight? If not, that sounds like too many calories...

Mr_Hobo_2100
Mr_Hobo_2100
153 posts
Nomad

Im trying to lose a little but im eating a high protian diet good for muscle mass building. when im at the gym i am running on pure adreniline

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I just checked mine out, and if I am just moderately active, to maintain my weight I should eat around 2150 a day. That is for a healthy, young, female, not trying to lose weight. If anything, for a male it should be even more.

Check this site out:
[url]http://www.shapefit.com/dailycalorie-calc.html[/url]

Showing 1-15 of 34