Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Overweight and Underactive

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 27, '08 at 6:13pm

Faranya

Faranya

5 posts

Why are people fat?

Are we not active enough? Check
Do we eat unhealthily? Check
Is it genetic? Not really
Lack of education on the topic? Check

You are not genetically fat. If you didn't eat excess amounts of fat, you simply cannot be fat.

Posted Mar 28, '08 at 12:17am

garifu

garifu

172 posts

Well, only very rarely does a mutation lead to obesity. Genetics is definitely a factor, though. Thyroid hormone, Cortisol, Leptin, etc. several ingredients effect how well we distribute energy, how efficiently we store/use it, our ability to feel full and resist overeating. Some people are blessed with the positive genetic attributes, others with negative ones. Those who start behind will struggle to maintain normal weight and fitness, while the lucky ones can manage with little or no effort. Of course, we are lazier and more inclined to eat junk... :S

Posted Mar 28, '08 at 12:20am

garifu

garifu

172 posts

P.S. that didn't come entirely from my arse, I just finished a section in Med school on some of this stuff.

Posted Mar 28, '08 at 7:18am

DecadentDragon

DecadentDragon

257 posts

It wasn't that long ago that obese people were considered freaks of nature.  You saw them in carnivals.  The only thing that has really changed is people's activity level.  We stopped doing as much, but kept on eating as if we hadn't.

Either eat less or do more, fatso.

Or both.

Posted Mar 28, '08 at 9:23am

AzaJeffery

AzaJeffery

44 posts

I beleive that this is a growing problem. In our world of technology many things are done for us, thus, we must go out ou way to keep fit. It is not that people are unfit to do exercise it is just that they are idle. I do not wish to offend anyone but I beleive obese people should make their best efforts to get over poor eating habits and no exercise.

Posted Mar 28, '08 at 12:01pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

In my opinion, a lot of it has to do with cars being around in such great numbers. And being at hand to use 24/7(for the most part). I have seen on countless occasions people decide to drive to their neighbor's house, or drive a quarter mile to a gas station for something. Or taking taxis to go a few blocks over in cities. Man was designed to walk miles and miles per day looking to food and water. And as animals, that will not ever change. Some people just seem to forget that we have feet and legs for a reason.