Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

First extra-solar organic molecule discovered

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 20, '08 at 4:57pm

DecadentDragon

DecadentDragon

257 posts

Switchfoot, become and engineer and design a sub that will get to the bottom of the ocean.

Then talk to the military. They'll want to know about it, since they've been trying for years.

Posted Mar 20, '08 at 6:45pm

Carlie

Carlie

7,222 posts

Knight

There are people who study the ocean floor... they are called marine biologists and oceanographers. I know some. They are real ;-)

Posted Mar 20, '08 at 6:48pm

Carlie

Carlie

7,222 posts

Knight

I thought you hadn't even started working on your aeronautical degree? How can yo work on jets without a degree?

Posted Mar 21, '08 at 4:05pm

soakerman

soakerman

692 posts

its amazing there could be some much life out there we know were not alone

Posted Mar 21, '08 at 4:21pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

3,061 posts

That's quite interesting, I just read several articles related to it. Methane seems like it would be quite abundant, since it is Carbon and Hydrogen, which are very readily available in the universe.
I think we might be really reaching the limits of our current technology with this find. I feel that the only reason this was discovered is because of how hot the planet is. I couldn't find any technical articles, but usually compounds such as this are found because of their emission line spectrum - and that would only have been visible because of the heat there.
It's not inconceivable that life would be there. It's cold conditions that really slow down the chemical processes that lead to life, so if this temperature is within the threshold of chemical reaction performance, then there could be life.
Something else to consider is that nearly every planet in our solar system has methane, and several have water in some form. That means that there could be other planets closer towards the "green zone" of this alien sun which would be perfect for life. It would be incredibly hard to detect a planet there, and even harder (if not impossible) to determine its chemical make-up, but I'm glad astronomers aren't just sitting on their hands.

Posted Mar 21, '08 at 6:17pm

chiliad_nodi

chiliad_nodi

652 posts

The universe is way too big for only one race. There is not yet a single intelligent life form discovered by humans, and as far a I know, no intelligent life on Earth. We have to realize that humans are not special in any way.

Posted Mar 21, '08 at 11:37pm

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,564 posts

Yeah, I used to think Light-Years were great, realizing traveling at 189,000 MPH would be useless, since it would still take almost forever. Even though, a finding like this is spectacularfishly amazing. Gratz on the Hubble, sadly, I dun think it'll last much longer.