ForumsGamesPolling for conceptual direction for new game, Acacia Defense

6 1717
MadBoat
MadBoat
11 posts
Nomad

ok, Iâve put together an artist and a musician for a game Iâm programming. The game is themed after Acacia Trees and Acacia Ants (quick educational link ). Iâm thinking the game will play like Starcraft without offense; you get a Acacia tree, and you can build ants and towers to defend your tree against waves of enemies, like in a tower defense game. you get more income and more room to build towers based on the size of your tree.

My artist and I have a potentially deal-breaking disagreement on what style to use for the ants. One of us wants to theme it after WWII armies, meaning there would be ants with rifles, flamethrowers, bazookas, etc. The other wants to theme it realistically, meaning there would be ants attacking with their pincers, with their stingers, with acidic spray, etc.

You guys are our audience, so its your opinion that matters, not so much ours. Which style do you guys prefer?

• 6 Replies
MadBoat
MadBoat
11 posts
Nomad

oops. Here's the educational link

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Given the educational background, I would strongly lean towards a realistic theme.

MadBoat
MadBoat
11 posts
Nomad

Given the educational background

oh, no no, don't misunderstand, the educational link is only for people who don't know what Acacia Ants are. This thing is getting hosted on gaming sites, not National Geographic.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Its a very good idea for a game and I think realistic is the best way to go. Since you are basing it on a real life natural partnership it is best to keep it natural. Otherwise you might as well set it anywhere.

MadBoat
MadBoat
11 posts
Nomad

bump! must have enough data for statistical analysis!

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I would also say realistic is the way to go. Unless you're going for a cartoony "army-ant" style, I would suggest realistic.

Showing 1-6 of 6