Forums

ForumsPopular Media

[NECRO] Rock or Rap?

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 9, '12 at 4:34am

SloanerBoner

SloanerBoner

40 posts

Rock takes a lot more talent to play, and just make the music. But after just watching Blade 2, I have to say rap, it kicks ***.

Posted Apr 11, '12 at 2:27am

omarzocco

omarzocco

275 posts

Rap just is annoying and so that means ROCK and how'd u guys get Carlie to post here with the green writing its sweet so my answer is green I mean rock

Posted Apr 11, '12 at 6:04am

psychobiz

psychobiz

6 posts

Rock by far beats rap. Rap, to me, is nothing but noise, and although you get some rare good ones, they're far and in between. Whereas rock is something you can't really go wrong in :3 Again, that's just my opinion.

Posted Apr 11, '12 at 10:23am

toemas

toemas

315 posts

i would go with rock and classic rock is the best lynyrd skynyrd & led zeppelin :D

Posted Apr 11, '12 at 10:35am

JamMasterJay

JamMasterJay

7 posts

Rock is in my opinion better than Rap because it is mostly hand made and not artificial

Posted Apr 11, '12 at 10:36am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,454 posts

rock is better, metal is even better

Posted Apr 13, '12 at 2:12pm

wolfboystev693

wolfboystev693

32 posts

A lot of people support rap, here's why i think rap is better-
1) Many people say that its easy to rap and its hard to make rap.
A person can maybe become good in guitar with maybe 2 or 3 years, but good rap it takes some time to make, yes there are some people who can make rap as fast as it takes to make a sandwich,but there really good( Eminem made a song and recorded it within 10 mins!!!)

2)I feel that most rock or heavy metal songs have no meaning to them although there a few exceptions like Numb by linkin park. On the other hand rap really has some depth and meaning to it if listened closely, songs about freedom and equality in America have been common in the hood through the 1960's, yes over here as well there are some exceptions, songs about spending money on women and drinks and bragging about how rich you are and all. But comparing it with rock I fell its few.
3)I'm sure rap is much more inspiring than rock and metal, just listen to the lyrics of Not Afraid my Eminem, u'll understand.
4)Rap is not rick ross or chris brown, its Eminem , Tupac and many more, Eg- Eminem sings about his life, the problems he faced, the difficulties he had, check out the song Lose yourself, then u'll understand.
But don't think I hate rock, i like alternative rock and my fav band is  One Republic

Posted Apr 13, '12 at 3:21pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

A lot of people support rap, here's why i think rap is better-
1) Many people say that its easy to rap and its hard to make rap.
A person can maybe become good in guitar with maybe 2 or 3 years, but good rap it takes some time to make, yes there are some people who can make rap as fast as it takes to make a sandwich,but there really good( Eminem made a song and recorded it within 10 mins!!!)

2)I feel that most rock or heavy metal songs have no meaning to them although there a few exceptions like Numb by linkin park. On the other hand rap really has some depth and meaning to it if listened closely, songs about freedom and equality in America have been common in the hood through the 1960's, yes over here as well there are some exceptions, songs about spending money on women and drinks and bragging about how rich you are and all. But comparing it with rock I fell its few.
3)I'm sure rap is much more inspiring than rock and metal, just listen to the lyrics of Not Afraid my Eminem, u'll understand.
4)Rap is not rick ross or chris brown, its Eminem , Tupac and many more, Eg- Eminem sings about his life, the problems he faced, the difficulties he had, check out the song Lose yourself, then u'll understand.
But don't think I hate rock, i like alternative rock and my fav band is  One Republic

see here is the thing. while a do agree with you that many rap songs do have extreme depth to them such as aesop rock, outkast, or tupac, there are just as many rappers that rap about *****es and hoes. the same can be said for rock though. while there are many songs that are great and have wonderful lyrics such as pink floyd, streetlight manifesto, and many many more, there are plenty such as seether who just complain about stuff the whole time. so any arguement that you make for either side can be said again for the opposing side.

and rap is a sub genre of rock anyways, as is alternative. so the whole arguement is pointless everyone

Posted Apr 13, '12 at 5:27pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

and rap is a sub genre of rock anyways, as is alternative. so the whole arguement is pointless everyone

I also think arguing which type of artistic expression is "best" just as pointless, but saying rap (by which you likely mean hip-hop music) is a subgenre of rock is factually incorrect.
It was born out of funk, disco, R&B and spoken word.

But yes. Music isn't a competition, it's expression. There aren't right or wrong, better or worse genres of expression. The only thing that matters is how effectively artists use those genres.

Posted Apr 14, '12 at 3:46pm

MetalHeart

MetalHeart

214 posts

I like rock and rap