ForumsThe Tavern[necro] How to: Prevent/Remove Viruses

21 9540
Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

Intro
Hopefully, we're all aware of the dangers of viruses. Let me start off by saying viruses are very common on the internet. If you don't take precautions, or ignore glitches with your system, (often having to do with a virus) then you'll be in a pretty bad position. This guide will aid you in preventing and removing these treacherous things.

Step 1. (Staying safe)
-I highly recommended for you to download Firefox. If you're not convinced this is a safe way to surf internet, read this.
-Download McAfee SiteAdviserIt's quite a tool, and warns you if you are on a dangerous site, and can prevent malicious software from entering your computer.
-Don't open websites that came from a spam email, a bot, or any other computerized junk.
-Download Avast AntiVirus. Even though there's lots of controversial talk about good virus scanners, I believe this one is superior to the rest.

Step 2. (Knowing you have a virus)
Look for abnormal actions. If you see weird pop-ups, or you have no task bar, then you most likely have a virus. If important files are missing, or if you load your internet browser and it redirects to a site you don't know. Tons of stuff can mean a virus, just pay attention.

Step 3. (Getting rid of a virus)
Consult Avast. Run a thorough scan, and follow the instructions.

Well that's it. It's short and to the point. Good luck!
-Justin

• 21 Replies
tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

Thank you so much. I think mine is getting one, I will be sure to use it.

LufffiStudios
LufffiStudios
1,420 posts
Nomad

This is nice guide. It's not too long, not to the point of the reader getting bored, and not so short that its use degrades. I have McAfee Security System, and have found some PUPs, but they have all been easily taken care of. Now I just need a memory card to make my computer run faster..

Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

Thank you so much. I think mine is getting one, I will be sure to use it.

Thank you.

This is nice guide. It's not too long, not to the point of the reader getting bored, and not so short that its use degrades. I have McAfee Security System, and have found some PUPs, but they have all been easily taken care of. Now I just need a memory card to make my computer run faster..

Yeah... McAfee is a great service. I'm just don't trust their virus scanner...
Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

Nice, I'm sure this will be very helpful for people.

Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

'Hate to bump it, but I didn't want it to get archived so quickly.

brenda_1997
brenda_1997
831 posts
Nomad

Cool i know how to prevent or remove viruses already. And i already have McAFee.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Good guide I didn't like McAfee Security Center when I forst got it (mainly cos its called center lol). I used to have Norton. but MCAfee is very useful and works well .The siteadvisor isn't sure of AG though too many pop-ups and every so often it tells me off for trying to go on it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I just run a virus scan every once in a while. And bump up internet security settings.

You forgot your firewall dude!

tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

'Hate to bump it, but I didn't want it to get archived so quickly.

What do you mean by that?
random_player_of_ag
random_player_of_ag
2,636 posts
Nomad

I highly recommended for you to download Firefox.

Besides Firefox you also have Google chrome, which has a excellent pop-up blocker.
But Firefox is good too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I advice everyone to have several anti virus in your computer.
I have Avast, avg 8.5 Norton...

Sometimes it's better to spend money on protecting your computer then on fixing it, an anti virus is cheaper then a computer fix.

Also I advice everyone to check websites that talk about virus, to know them better and to check if there are any new virus.
---------------------------------------------

To finish my post I just want to say well done, your guide is good.
miguelin11
miguelin11
2,905 posts
Nomad

And I advice everyone to have several anti virus in your computer.
I have Avast, avg 8.5 Norton...

why would you put several anti-virus? I mean, Isn't one good enough?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I think buying an actual anti-virus program that can be updated by a reliable central centre is better than just picking a free one of the net. Who knows, they might contain hidden virus or trojan horses themselves.

Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

Well Avast is proven to be extremely efficient.

Buying one, would cost around 50 bucks. (If you wanted a good quality one)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I think Norton is quite good, though McAfee is pretty decent too. And Norton updates too.

magicteen888
magicteen888
83 posts
Shepherd

ty but i use avg anti virus

Showing 1-15 of 21