ForumsThe Tavern[necro] How to: Prevent/Remove Viruses

21 9553
Jrmagic
Jrmagic
301 posts
Nomad

Intro
Hopefully, we're all aware of the dangers of viruses. Let me start off by saying viruses are very common on the internet. If you don't take precautions, or ignore glitches with your system, (often having to do with a virus) then you'll be in a pretty bad position. This guide will aid you in preventing and removing these treacherous things.

Step 1. (Staying safe)
-I highly recommended for you to download Firefox. If you're not convinced this is a safe way to surf internet, read this.
-Download McAfee SiteAdviserIt's quite a tool, and warns you if you are on a dangerous site, and can prevent malicious software from entering your computer.
-Don't open websites that came from a spam email, a bot, or any other computerized junk.
-Download Avast AntiVirus. Even though there's lots of controversial talk about good virus scanners, I believe this one is superior to the rest.

Step 2. (Knowing you have a virus)
Look for abnormal actions. If you see weird pop-ups, or you have no task bar, then you most likely have a virus. If important files are missing, or if you load your internet browser and it redirects to a site you don't know. Tons of stuff can mean a virus, just pay attention.

Step 3. (Getting rid of a virus)
Consult Avast. Run a thorough scan, and follow the instructions.

Well that's it. It's short and to the point. Good luck!
-Justin

• 21 Replies
Showing 31-30 of 21