ForumsWEPR[necro]Physics, anyone?

49 17641
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Hello, this thread is for people interested in physics. I'm just curious as to how many physics lovers are here on Armor Games.

• 49 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I'm talking about theoretical physics and stuff

such as exploring the possibilities of time travel and such right?
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I enjoy it.

Ahhh Flipski, why!!!!

I am not a big fan of physics class. I do however think that it is interesting to learn about it applies to everyday things. I like that I can look at something happening and think about it through mathematics. Don't get me wrong, I hate math. But I do like how it can all be broken down and explained.

Physics class on the other hand, is a bore. I only liked high school physics class because I had a really great teacher. Then in college, the physics series we have to take is a joke. They make us sit through 6.5 hours of physics class and lab per week, which is honestly a waste of my time for something that I think they are teach poorly. Plus, the physics department must get the short end of the stick when it comes to funding, because we pay thousands of dollars in tuition only to get stuck in a dirty and grimy old physics lab in a dilapidated temporary building. They obviously are not getting any of those funds. I'm quite bitter about the physics series... ;-P
Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

:0

Nice to see Carlie out and about.

I like Physics but I tend toward chemistry a bit more. Not sure why but I always got Chemistry so much better.

I like that I can look at something happening and think about it through mathematics.

Agreed. It's nice to know that there is some underlying order to things and it's not just random. Discovering new stuff is awesome too, then getting immortalized with a law or constant named after you is totally sweet.
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I like Physics but I tend toward chemistry a bit more. Not sure why but I always got Chemistry so much better.

Oh nooooes! Chemistry is even worse ;-P lol. I think that my general dislike towards physics and chemistry has to do with the fact that they are pretty hard to visualize. You cannot touch it, see it, play with it. I am a very visual learner, so macro-biology works out a lot better for me. I like being able to see what I am learning about, not just watching chemicals change color and infer from that what might have happened.
Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

I think that my general dislike towards physics and chemistry has to do with the fact that they are pretty hard to visualize.

That's true. It's been a while since I've taken a chemistry or physics class. Recently I've been working more on Calculus, Dynamics, and material science (uses some chemistry). I don't know, I guess I liked it because it was challenging and my teacher was a cool dude.

I like being able to see what I am learning about, not just watching chemicals change color and infer from that what might have happened.

I love watching colors change and getting some awesome combinations. Then getting the stuff seperated and tested for various properties. Mmmm I miss chemistry
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I don't know, I guess I liked it because it was challenging and my teacher was a cool dude.

That can make a big difference =) My senior thesis advisor got me hooked on oceanography!
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Oh nooooes! Chemistry is even worse ;-P

I actually quite enjoyed chemistry. It's really just higher level maths, the balancing of chemical equations etc. Funnily enough it was the one
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Sorry, don't know what happened there.

What I was trying to say was that it was the one that I never had a problem visualising. There are so many applications for chemistry people never really think of. With physics, the links are more overt, but they are there in chemistry too.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Wow most of this is so over my head that its not even funny, but then again i'm only 14, but i'm wondering has anyone heard the quote

"There is no future, there is only the present"

to me that kinda ruins time travel because if you think about it the future is decided by the actions of everyone in the present, so if you actually manage time-travel it would basically be being trapped in a bubble, and put in stasis for whatever amount of time that you're going to the future for but it would be impossible to go to the past.... So then I'm confused about how the thory of traveling to the past came about...

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Then in college, the physics series we have to take is a joke.

Uh, don't you go to a university with a good engineering college? I have friends that go there. What do the engineering students do if the physics is that bad? D: (um, except for partying.)

Oh nooooes! Chemistry is even worse ;-P lol. I think that my general dislike towards physics and chemistry has to do with the fact that they are pretty hard to visualize. You cannot touch it, see it, play with it. I am a very visual learner, so macro-biology works out a lot better for me. I like being able to see what I am learning about, not just watching chemicals change color and infer from that what might have happened.

I never liked biology because it was too... I'm not sure what's the word, internal? Teachers say physics and chemistry (and subtopics thereof) are difficult because it's impossible to see what is going on, but I think the teachers were avoiding calling the students lazy and stupid. How can chemistry be worse? Chemistry is more physical than physics, and definitely better than visualizing interaction between particles and waves and invisible forces.

material science (uses some chemistry)

It also uses physics too, though the basics are more about the physical properties of materials extending from the chemical composition, structure, bonding, etc.

It's really just higher level maths, the balancing of chemical equations etc.

Physical chemistry is a monster. It's like physics and chemistry gave birth to an child that engrosses itself with mathematical torture.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

we don't cover all that much physics in our school, sounds interesting tho, i only did biology

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Physical chemistry is a monster. It's like physics and chemistry gave birth to an child that engrosses itself with mathematical torture.

I suppose that's one interpretation. I found it quite enjoyable, although, I've always rather enjoyed maths.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I like chemistry and physics. I like the conjecturial physics that nobody actually uses the most and the reactions between chemicals and the whole molecular science is really interesting.

pickleshack
pickleshack
356 posts
Nomad

Anyone ever read the book QED?

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

so macro-biology works out a lot better for me

like petting cute bunnies ^-^

uhh back on topic, Well recently I have finally finished Steven Hawking's really interesting book, the Universe in a Nutshell (been reading it for a while) and I have to say it has got me hooked on theoretical physics

Oh nooooes! Chemistry is even worse ;-P lol.

yea... it is qutie difficult

How can chemistry be worse? Chemistry is more physical than physics, and definitely better than visualizing interaction between particles and waves and invisible forces.

well I am only a highschool senior, and I have taken both the AP chemistry test and the AP physics C 1&2 and B tests, I would have to say AP chemistry is a lot harder than it looks, especially acid base equilibrium, gosh thank god last day of school was on thursday.
Showing 16-30 of 49