ForumsWEPR[necro]Physics, anyone?

49 17700
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Hello, this thread is for people interested in physics. I'm just curious as to how many physics lovers are here on Armor Games.

• 49 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I like the conjecturial physics that nobody actually uses the most

Not me. I find things much easier and enjoyable to learn about when they have a practical application. Incidently, my work involves using physics in some way pretty much all the time. Whether it's plotting Euclidean vectors, or using aerodynamic traits to predict things.

However conjectural science is something I only think would be enjoyable if you studied it at a top level.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I've always especially been interested in theories, like the M Theory, or the many theories of parallel universes. No real-world application, but interesting to study and speculate

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

or the many theories of parallel universes.

Interesting you should mention string theory and parrallel dimensions, because there are practical uses for the understanding the dimensions and using it to your advantage.

Take formation flight for example, or an aerobatic display team such as the Red Arrows. You have to be aware of all 4 dimensions at all times. Forward-backwards,leftwards-rightwards,upwards-downwards and time. When executing a manouvre, Red 1, will call it: eg ''roll right, smoke on, go''. On the word ''go'' each pilot will roll and turn smoke on.

In the debrief is where the dimension concept comes into play. They are filmed each and every time they perform and analyse a video recording . They pause and scrutinise the formations. If an aircraft is too far forwards or backwards they are ''up it'' or ''down it'' respectively. They also have to be aware of executing a manouvre out of sync with the rest of the group early or late.

So something that seems as obscure as string theory actually has practical use.
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Uh, don't you go to a university with a good engineering college? I have friends that go there. What do the engineering students do if the physics is that bad? D: (um, except for partying.)

Yea the engineering here is definitely great. But they use a different physics series that biology majors. There are two main series of physics at my school. The 7 series is for science non-math oriented majors, and is more conceptual. The 9 series is based upon calculus, and has calculus for math majors as the prerequisite. So unless you take the higher up math (which you would have to for engineering), you can't take that series. Which actually isn't a joke of a series.

Ahh well, at least I didn't have to take the more advanced calculus!
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

@firefly: Interesting. String Theory has always fascinated me
------

advanced calculus

The lesson that calculus taught us all when we were in college: never put a scientist under house arrest.
Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

Ahh well, at least I didn't have to take the more advanced calculus!

Haha, really? I actually kinda of enjoy my calculus :P My professor for calc has been the same guy for a couple semesters now, and he's the funniest teacher I've ever had. It's not so much fun to take notes for at 20 minute intervals, but much like Physics you can use it to accomplish just about any feat mathematically. I also find it easier to visualize then say Linear Algebra.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Yea the engineering here is definitely great. But they use a different physics series that biology majors. There are two main series of physics at my school. The 7 series is for science non-math oriented majors, and is more conceptual. The 9 series is based upon calculus, and has calculus for math majors as the prerequisite. So unless you take the higher up math (which you would have to for engineering), you can't take that series. Which actually isn't a joke of a series.

That makes sense. I thought bio majors took the same calculus.
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

That makes sense. I thought bio majors took the same calculus.

You technically can, if you want to take the more difficult calculus series! But most people don't want to, so they take the lesser calculus series, which leads into the crappy physics series.

No reason to take the more advanced calculus, unless you really like math.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I just love how no one has attempted to answer my question, lol

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Wow most of this is so over my head that its not even funny, but then again i'm only 14, but i'm wondering has anyone heard the quote
"There is no future, there is only the present"
to me that kinda ruins time travel because if you think about it the future is decided by the actions of everyone in the present, so if you actually manage time-travel it would basically be being trapped in a bubble, and put in stasis for whatever amount of time that you're going to the future for but it would be impossible to go to the past.... So then I'm confused about how the thory of traveling to the past came about...

Well, people have always wanted to travel back in time. The one way we know of to travel back in time is by going faster than light. This, however, is impossible.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

This, however, is impossible.

I assume you haven't heard of quantum entanglement or w/e it's called. It's an interesting phenomenon where two particles become entangled, but can still be separated. And everything that happened to the first particle happens to the second with no delay whatsoever. That reaction travels faster than light. So some things DOtravel faster than light.
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Heheheheh...Actually, you're wrong. Quantum enganglement is just a thought experiment made by Einstein to stump the believers of Quantum Mechanics. It can be disproved by another simple thought experiment.

Let's say we have 2 people-Person A and Person B. We give each person a piece of paper in an envelope. One of the pieces of paper has an x on it. Let's say that Person A's paper has the x on it. We then send A and B to opposite locations on the earth-the north and south poles. We make sure that they have absolutely no means of communicating with each other. When A gets to the north pole, he then opens his envelope, and sees the x. He then knows that B has the one without the x by process of elimination. No signals were sent between them, but the instant he sees the x he knows that B has the blank paper.

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Haha! That post got me to Wood Lord!

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Lol congrats Orion, but it would theoretically be possible to time travel wouldn't it, as time travel usually refers to the person going forward or backwards in time, yet not aging or dieing, by frozen (cryogenic) and then being defrosted in the future would technically mean that you time traveled, because you remained the same, unchanged and all, while the world progressed and changed around you. Of course there are always the slight odds that the day after you're frozen the world explodes in nuclear war and when you defrost you're actually in a cave man like world. (It would suck to have life threatening cancer in that moment.)

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

...Well, I guess cryogenics is an option if you put time travel that way. Personally, I don't see that as time travel. You still can't go back in time, though, so once you're frozen, there's no turning back.

Showing 31-45 of 49