ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105004
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
SuperZagron
SuperZagron
424 posts
Nomad

Good idea for a thread. I would save my friends life.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

this is a cool thread DDX

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

First question: I usually vote alongside issues, not people, but if there is a small margin between their differences, I'd go with C because he/she is most likely to fulfill the job requirements correctly.

Second question: Well, first I would wonder why she keeps ending up pregnant. I'd be EXTREMELY careful if I had eight children, some with problems. But since she is my friend, then I would be first in line to take care of the child (I'm pro-life in case you didn't guess). I couldn't ask her to carry to burden of taking care of a ninth child if she didn't want to, but I also think eveyrone deserves a chance to live, regardless of their problems.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

*cough* Excuse my ass-hatness =P

First Question:

Well... I'll be damned if I can figure out who Candidate 'A' is, but 'B' sounds like Churchhill & 'C' sounds like Hitler =P

Second question - I'd feel out of place recommending abortion to anyone. I don't object to a woman's right to choose, but I would never steer or manipulate a woman in that direction. If it winds up being a bad decision, she'll blame it on me. If she came to that idea of her own volition & asked me if she should go ahead with it, I might say that she came up with the idea because she's clearly considering it, and that maybe she should go with her gut.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Well... I'll be ****ed if I can figure out who Candidate 'A' is, but 'B' sounds like Churchhill & 'C' sounds like Hitler =P

Wow, I'm an idiot! I can't believe I didn't see that. Like I said before, might depend on a variety of issues, as well as their plans forward with America. Oops, I elected Hitler.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

eeerrr... just given that info I would vote for candidate C as he sounds like the best choice, no drugs, faithful to spouse etc.

I think I would suggest an abortion because the chances are the child wouldn;t live a fulfilling life even if ot wasn't retarded or diabled in some way.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Well since hidden distance spilled the sack-o-poop...

A) was FDR (Franklin D Roosevelt)
B) was Winston Churchill
C) Adolf Hitler.

Yup... that is why people voted for Hitler as a dictator in the first place, he sounded good. But you really can't judge a person's ethics based on credentials (don't judge a book by its cover? lulz)

congrats to Hidden Distance for the guud call.
and

Most likely i'd go with candidate C, but since life has a nasty way of biting you in the *** when you least expect it therefore turning C into the worst candidate, so i'd also have A as a back-up.

to Kyouzou for thinking there was a twist.

New one coming on tuesday
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Vote for a vegetarian?

That's crazy. I'd never vote for someone who didn't drink scotch & eat beef =P

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Minus the antisemitism (and mustache) I'd go with Hitler. Nationalistic, strong, good strategist, job creator.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Trickay huh,

If I'd live back in 1933 though, and Hitler wasn't dead and I knew how he will rule, I would of course not vote for him.

of course you would, because during that time of economic turmoil from the result of the first world war, you'd have no where to go. If a man like Hitler came in that time period people would have definitely voted for him, plus he wasn't openly antisemitic.

anyway new question tomorrow, keep a look out.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

lol, I had no idea Hitler was a vegetarian or the FDR and Churchill had such well shady backgrounds lol it amazing how the best looking(figuratively) of the three turned out to be the worst, there somethings that the man did that would make the devil sick to his stomach.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

lol, I had no idea Hitler was a vegetarian or the FDR and Churchill had such well shady backgrounds lol it amazing how the best looking(figuratively) of the three turned out to be the worst, there somethings that the man did that would make the devil sick to his stomach.

Yea, I know right? Because of the fact that we were not given the information that it was Hitler, we were just like the people of Germany when they elected a new kaiser/dictator.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Okay good work, New question today. The "Good Samaritan" question... with a twist.

Your worst enemy, someone you despise for good reasons, has crashed and you're the first person there. Do you still help, do you put the past behind you and be the good person? Or do you look the other way?
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I'm gonna make up those good reasons myself. As usual I'll stick with the cost-reward mechanism so...

When I see the crash stress levels increase. Do I help or not can I justify not helping against the benefits of helping. He is my enemy id I don;t help no one would be surprised that new me and I could get rid off him. Or saving his life could be a turning point and I could be praised for helping someone even though I hate them. But the risk of the act of helping could be high the petrol might be leaking I could be hurt. No I wouldn't help the dangers are too high and no one important to me would blame for not helping.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I would try to help the person. Even if I despise them for good reasons, meaning this is a bad person, maybe my act will change their attitude. Pixie makes a good point about the cost-reward, but I think duties that are thrust onto our shoulders at random just seem worse than they actually are. I think even though he's not my responsibility, I would feel responsible for anything that happened to him after I turned away.

Showing 46-60 of 340