ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105113
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

well It has been a long time, I appreciate all the responses, I will try to keep up with this.

anyway hiddendistance sent me this intriguing dilemma

you are wanted by the police for murder (whether you are guilty or not is completely irrelevant). They have your description, and if they see you, you will be caught & convicted. You're in a park, in the dead of winter & there is snow on the ground, and ice on the nearby lake. A child is playing on the ice, and winds up falling through. No one else has seen the child fall through and if you do nothing, the child will die. 10 feet from the edge of the lake, there is a police officer standing around on his beat/patrol.

Do you save the child?

WWYD?

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I would tell to the officer to save the child and I would try to run away from there.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

you would be arrested. >_> I am sure that is what hiddendistance intended.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Then I would save the kid and I would hope that the judje will consider my action during my trial.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Interesting, I find that a good choice also, as I will attempt to tell the police officer that there is a child in the water, and after that I will stay there until he turns around to go save the child, I will make a break for it leaving him with the choice of catching me, the murderer, or saving the child. And hopefully I will be far away from him enough to dodge the long ***k of the law.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I would save the child and then run for it. I doubt the police officer would recognize me if I turn away, and his first thought when someone saves a child and then runs isn't "Well, he must be a wanted criminal!" And if he does catch me... well, I saved a life and might be given some lenience.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I would tell to the officer to save the child and I would try to run away from there.

I will attempt to tell the police officer that there is a child in the water, and after that I will stay there until he turns around to go save the child, I will make a break for it leaving him with the choice of catching me, the murderer, or saving the child. And hopefully I will be far away from him enough to dodge the long ***k of the law.

Are they not basically the same thing? despite you saying you would be arrested.

Anyway I would save the kid as long as I think I could make it. There is no point me throwing myself into the lake just to die as well. But I think saving the child life is greater than spending a few decades in prison. As mentioned the good act may even get a few years off my sentence plus if I'm a good boy and go to church and look reformed I could get out in just over a decade maybe whuch sure beats a life time of torturing myself over the death of the kid which I don;t hink I could rationalise not saving.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

Indeed. If you choose to rescue the child, you will be incarcerated; full stop.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Are they not basically the same thing? despite you saying you would be arrested.

yea, but it doesn't mean I can't resist arrest.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Considering that I murdered someone chances are that I'm a cold heart- ed bastard and wouldn't care one way or the other...but if my mindset was the same as it is know then I would choose to save the child hoping that the jury would grant some leniency on my crime, although I'm wondering if its murder in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree?

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Kyouzou, I would assume if people were sent out to capture and have everyone informed, it would be murder in the first degree. Which is planned murder, I have never heard of 3rd degree lol. 2nd degree is spur of the moment murder. So lets assume you are wanted for 1st degree murder, meaning you are dangerous, and police will apprehend you on sight.

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

Oh thats interesting. I had thougt before it was just how badly and gory you killed the guy. :P

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

*scratches head* I don't know where 3rd degree came from...so I yeah premeditated murder would probably result in me being a cold hearted bastard who wouldn't give a shit weather the kid was dying or not, but me personally I would save the kid.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I don't know where 3rd degree came from.

maybe from burns lol, They have 1st degree, 2nd, and 3rd. Thats all I could think of. I will post a new topic by today, I have to think of one -_- first
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well I'd save the kid and then run like hell, I mean really it's just one police officer besides if you get away fast enough he's not going to see your face.

Showing 181-195 of 340