Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]Ethics: Your choice

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 6:59am

Pixie214

Pixie214

4,803 posts

well the way I see it is you stay quiet your friend is found and they carry on searching and find you or you run out get caught and are eaten and then they search the house find the friend and he is eaten I would stay put out of laziness.

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 7:59am

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

I think that the odds are that you'll be found anyway because the soldiers will assume there's more people in the house if they find at least one person. Talo, how the hell does this offend you!?

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 8:44am

DDX

DDX

3,470 posts

For ethics sake, We'll say one of you lives for sure depending on your actions, if you draw them away, they wont come back. To put into retrospect, one of you dies, the other one lives.

I find this offensive

uhhh ok....

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 9:53am

Mike412

Mike412

337 posts

I'd chose the friend. Thinking about it, I don't even hesitate, but I don't really know how I'd react in a real situation. I'd like to think that I'd do the exact same thing, because I'd want my friend to survive more than myself honestly. Still, in the moment fear is a powerful motivator, whether its beneficial or negative to what you want to do.

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 12:09pm

Pixie214

Pixie214

4,803 posts

For ethics sake, We'll say one of you lives for sure depending on your actions, if you draw them away, they wont come back. To put into retrospect, one of you dies, the other one lives.

Ok in that case I would continue to hide. Theres nothing like the self preservation society :) Piliavins cost-reward system would help the personal harm to me if I run is greater than the emotional harm if I hide in my opinion.

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 1:51pm

DDX

DDX

3,470 posts

Ok in that case I would continue to hide. Theres nothing like the self preservation society :) Piliavins cost-reward system would help the personal harm to me if I run is greater than the emotional harm if I hide in my opinion.

Ah good man, survival of the luckiest I say. I would judge you and say you were a bad friend, but then again I would probably do the same.

Posted Apr 23, '09 at 11:26pm

Somers

Somers

1,486 posts

Wow people, this conversation should be over. You jump and run and scream, odds are they will kill you, then continue to search the house, thus finding your friend? Your dead either way cause eventually there gonna look in the closet lol...

Posted Apr 24, '09 at 12:13am

HiddenDistance

HiddenDistance

1,326 posts

I find difficulty in answering the question as it presupposes actions on my part that I wouldn't have taken in the first place.

Posted Apr 24, '09 at 12:44am

DDX

DDX

3,470 posts

Wow people, this conversation should be over. You jump and run and scream, odds are they will kill you, then continue to search the house, thus finding your friend? Your dead either way cause eventually there gonna look in the closet lol...

uhh if youd read the later posts, youd understand that one of you live to tell the tale no matter what.

I find difficulty in answering the question as it presupposes actions on my part that I wouldn't have taken in the first place.

basically what I'm looking for is would you sacrifice yourself for your friend. If you do, the now not hungry soldiers will not eat your friend, and he will run away.

Posted Apr 24, '09 at 5:01am

HiddenDistance

HiddenDistance

1,326 posts

basically what I'm looking for is would you sacrifice yourself for your friend.

Self-sacrifice is quite the virtue, but people I maintain friendships with are not the sorts of people that would be cowering under a bed in that kind of situation.  It's an interesting dilemma, but I'm saying I can't answer the question because there are many ways in which it doesn't apply.