Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]Ethics: Your choice

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 28, '09 at 9:32pm

HiddenDistance

HiddenDistance

1,326 posts

My worst enemy?  Well, he's just a jerk but that's it.  So yeah.. I'd help him.  I wouldn't try to be buddy buddy with him later, and if he was really keen on thanking me or something I'd probably just avoid him.

That's the worst person I know personally though.  If it was Osama Bin Laden or something?  Well... put it this way - I wouldn't help, but I wouldn't turn a blind eye either...

Posted Apr 28, '09 at 11:39pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

I gotta agree with Destor, sometime no punishment is the best punishment, but anyway if I knew that the car was going to blow up when I got close to him, let him rot my self preservation instinct kicks in there. As for the No punishment thing, what i mean is what if you hated this dude because he slept with your wife and ruined your marriage and then you saved his stupid *** from certain death think baout how much that would eat away at you. Anyway sorry about the ramble but yeah I might save him, I might not.

Posted Apr 30, '09 at 8:27am

DDX

DDX

3,470 posts

Hm.. that is an interesting thing you brought up... Depending on what he did to make you hate him could decide the outcome of his life. I like that.

Posted Apr 30, '09 at 5:02pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Lol what can i say paybacks a *****...

Posted Apr 30, '09 at 8:30pm

Somecallmetim

Somecallmetim

64 posts

Hm.. that is an interesting thing you brought up... Depending on what he did to make you hate him could decide the outcome of his life. I like that.

I was actually thinking that in the beginning, but I reasoned with myself and came to my conclusion for myself that I would help him no matter what. I would just feel guilt even if he did something horrific to me.

Posted May 1, '09 at 2:18am

HiddenDistance

HiddenDistance

1,326 posts

I would just feel guilt even if he did something horrific to me.

I would think it appropriate to quantify 'horrific'.

So.. you'd help him if he raped & killed your mother and then gouged out one of your eyes?

Posted May 1, '09 at 5:40am

czecha

czecha

148 posts

I read all the comments on the new ethic question and I was thinking quite the same that HiddenDistance said. It really depends on what are the reasons why you hate him. In the case someone did that to my mother and to me I would not just not help him, I think I would also laugh about his situation. All in all this scenario is quite similar to the first one with the soldiers eating your friend. Your decision just doesn't depend on how much you like your friend but on how much you hate your enemy. Other factors are how you think how dangerous it is to help him and how much you are feared. I'd say it must be consideraby less dangerous than in the first scenario for most of the people.

Posted May 1, '09 at 11:16pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

I see what your trying to say czecha but my nature would make it very hard for me to just leave a person lying there suffering, I mean sure if it was a wanted criminal like a Bin Laden or a child molester i'd have no problems walking away without looking back, but if i hate this guy/girl for something thats not all that important i'd probably save them.

Posted May 2, '09 at 2:05am

DDX

DDX

3,470 posts

lets say you are a doctor...

If a person wants to have a healthy limb amputated, should that medical procedure be performed? This sounds like a bizarre question - after all, who would want such a thing? As a matter of fact, doctors and psychologists are beginning to acknowledge that there is a surprisingly significant number of people who suffer from something called apotemnophilia, the desire to see themselves become amputees and who are attracted (often sexually) to the idea of amputation.

Would you do it? even though you knew that he would have trouble surviving, would you still do it? Money is the motivating factor in this one, as you make a butt load of money from one amputation (very complicated, because you have to seal each vessel to the limb otherwise the patient will bleed to death).

Cmon doctor, what now?

hope you like this one, new question on tuesday.

Posted May 2, '09 at 2:18am

samdawghomie

samdawghomie

2,069 posts

That's a tough one but me personally I would probably do it for the money. I mean, who wouldn't that much money to amutate a limb for somebody, DUH! I could do alot of things with that kind of money; pay off the bills my dad hasn't paid, by an Xbox 360, save some for college. Thats just me, know thinking from a doctor's perspective you probably woundn't because you'd be thinking about how the patient would seal with this. Anyways being a doctor you alredy make a lot of money so why would need to. It would be a waste of time.
So, yeah there's my answer.
Me, definitely.
Doctor, no.